RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

I'm All for It

By RON MALY

There are a number of things I never thought I'd be doing at this stage of my life, and writing about girls' wrestling is one of them.

First of all, let me point out that I don't know a heck of a lot about competitive wrestling of any type, even though I watched and wrote about plenty of it in my newspaper years.

I managed to make enough writing sense while writing about at least one NCAA wrestling tournament, several Big Ten Conference tournaments. numerous important two-team dual meets, and even the Olympic Trials one year in Brooklyn Park, MN.

I acted like I knew what I was doing at all of those events.

At least nobody bitched that I didn't know a double-leg takedown from a fireman's carry.

Now on to girls' wrestling....

I'm well aware that a limited number of girls have been competing in what's supposed to be boys' high school wrestling competition in this state for a number of years.

Indeed, some of those girls have done very well.

Now comes news, courtesy of John Naughton of the paper, that girls may have their own high school state tournament in the near-future.

I'm all for it.

I haven't gone to a men's or boys' wrestling tournament in a long time. I probably wouldn't walk across the street to see a men's or boys' wrestling event now.

But if girls start wrestling each other, I plan to be there to see what it's all about. If women's collegiate wrestling is ever held in this state, I'll be applying for press credentials.

I'm sure the matches will be as competitive--perhaps more competitive--as any I've ever witnessed in the past .

Bring it on.

SUSHI & SAKE

I heard from my Japanese friend Fusayo Hattori again the other day.

"Thank you for publishing all of your great memories of our visit to Iowa," Fusayo said in her email.

"We really had a happy time there.  Jiro [Fusayo's late husband] was especially happy that he was able to drink beer with you every day."

Fusayo also mentioned  the two Shih Tzu dogs we had at that time. They were Oriental female dogs [Shih Tzus have been traced back to Tibet and China], so their names were Sushi and Sake [pronounced sock-ee]. 

A Shih Tzu is pictured.

"I have great memories of Sushi and Sake," Fusayo said.  "When we returned to Japan, we got our own Shih Tzu, and named him Boggie.  He lived to be 15."

I mentioned to Fusayo that Sushi and Sake  each lived to be 13 years 5 months.

"Boggie probably lived to be 15," I joked to her, "because he ate Japanese food and Sushi and Sake didn't."