RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Things Won't Be the Same

By RON MALY
I don't write much about media people in these essays because I'm one of 'em.
I mean, for me to spend time discussing

writers and announcers would be like an Indianapolis 500 driver talking about other drivers or a plumber yakking about the work other plumbers do.
But I'm making an exception today.
Brent Musburger, a guy whose voice is familiar to nearly everyone who watches collegiate sports on TV, is hanging up his microphone.
In other words, he's retiring.
And very soon.
Like after a Southeastern Conference basketball game between Kentucky and Georgia next Tuesday.
Heck, Musburger [pictured] didn't even give ESPN, his employer, 2 weeks notice.
But that's all right. 
Musburger never did things the same as everyone else when he was broadcasting a basketball or football game.
And at 77 years of age, Musburger should be able to quit his job any time he wants.
Still, it's a bit strange to me that Musburger isn't waiting until the end  of the basketball season.
But I guess he hears Las Vegas calling.
“What a wonderful journey I have traveled with CBS and the Disney company,” Musburger said in a statement. “A love of sports allows me to live a life of endless pleasure. And make no mistake, I will miss the arenas and stadiums dearly. Most of all, I will miss the folks I have met along the trail.
“But the next rodeo for me is in Las Vegas. Stop by and we’ll share a cold one and some good stories. I may even buy!”
Musburger plans to “help his family start a sports handicapping business," whatever that means.
I liked the way Musburger did the play-by-play on collegiate sports, others not so much.
I have a friend [she calls him MUSH-burger] who shuts off the sound and just watches the picture whenever Musburger is doing a game.
Frankly, I thought the 2017 Rose Bowl wasn't an official Rose Bowl because Musburger didn't do the play-by-play on TV.
The same with the Big 12 Conference's Big Monday basketball games.
Musburger isn't doing them this season, and the telecasts don't seem the same without him.
For me, it was an official Big Monday game a couple of years ago when Fred Hoiberg was Iowa State's coach and Musburger was the ESPN announcer.
Iowa State would usually wiin and Musburger would rave about what a great coach Hoiberg was, and what a great family Hoiberg had.
Those comments would come when the TV cameras showed Hoiberg's wife and kids sitting in their seats at Hilton Coliseum in Ames.
Now Hoiberg is gone and Musburger will be out the door in less than a week.
Hoiberg is coaching the Chicago Bulls and Musburger will be setting up shop in Las Vegas.
For me, things won't be the same.