RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Turning Phenix Elementary Schjool Into Apartments Is the Dumbest Decision Made In the 50 Years I've Lived In West Des Moines.

By RON MALY

A guy asked me what I think of the decision to turn 78-year-old  Phenix Elementary School in West Des Moines into apartments.

"I think it's the dumbest thing  to happen in West Des Moines in the 50 years I've lived in the city," I told the guy.

"I'll go even further with this. I think turning Phenix Elementary [pictured] into apartments is the most stupid decision made since the name of the city known as Valley Junction was changed to West Des Moines in 1939.

"The name Valley Junction gave the city some character anid personality. The name West Des Moines is about as imaginative as the names of West Lafayette in Indiana and East Grand Forks in Minnesota.

"News reports keep saying that 'city leaders' made the decision to turn Phenix Elementary into apartments. As far as I'm concerned, those city leaders are masquerading as knuckleheads who should never be permitted to make another decision.

I'd like to know why West Des Moines needs more apartments, and why they need to be built on the site of Phenix Elementary.

West Des Moines needs more apartments like Alabama needs another collegiate football championship and the newspapers need another story about a comeback by Tiger Woods.

Apartments, apartments, apartments.

I'm sick of them, and I don't even live in one.

Do something smart with Phenix Elementary. 

It's a state treasure of a school if not a national treasure.

Capitalize on that instead of building more apartments.


By the way, I've always wondered where the name Phenix in Phenix Elementary came from.

So I looked it up.

In December, 1955, West Des Moines Elementary School was renamed Nellie Phenix Elementary School to honor a former student, teacher and principal.

Now that was a very smart decision.

That's all I'm going to write--for a while anyway--about Valley Junction, Phenix Elementary School and dumb people who are called city leaders.

I guess I got into a bad mood the more I thought about apartments at Phenix Elementary

Thanks for reading this. The next time I write, I promise it'll be about something more pleasant.