RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Pastor Roland Pillack IsTurning 85




By RON MALY

There are several things a person can count on when he or she is greeted by Rev. Roland Pillack at Mount Olive Lutheran Church in Des Moines:

1. Pastor Pillack will always be smiling.

2. Pastor Pillack will give you a firm handshake.

3. Pastor Pillack will be wearing his pastoral church attire or he'll be in a suit or sportcoat, dress pants and a necktie. Nice shirt and shoes, too, of course, on this very dapper man.

It's been that way for years--I mean, a lot of years-- certainly at Mount Olive and likely at every other church he's served.

Speaking of years, they'll be honoring Pastor Pillack next week, I'm assuming with birthday cake and the fixin's, when he turns 85 years of age.

"Join us as we celebrate and thank God for Pastor Roland Pillack's 85th birthday," daughter Becky put on the card that arrived in my mail the other day.

Becky will be hosting an open house next Saturday, Feb. 4, at 4048 42nd Street in Des Moines from 1 to 4 p.m.

Obviously, Norma Pillack, the pastor's wonderful wife, will also be present for the festivities.

I've provided a photo of Pastor Pillack and Norma [courtesy of Lois Jean Schumann at Mount Olive] so you can see what a nice-looking couple they are.

Pastor Pillack, who has been at Mount Olive for more than 20 years, will also be available to greet people between church services Feb. 5.

Take it to the bank that there will be lots of people present at both get-togethers to wish happy birthday to a man who has had a lot of 'em.

And he certainly deserves the celebrations.

Senior pastors have come and gone at Mount Olive, but Pastor Pillack stayed as an assistant pastor, visitation pastor, vacancy pastor, whatever you want to call it.

He's been Mr. Dependable.

He's been the Do-What's-Necessary man of the cloth.

Pastor Pillack was stationed at other Missouri Synod Lutheran churches around the nation, but he was a perfect fit at Mount Olive, and he stayed.

Pastor Pillack conducted the ceremony in wonderful, very spiritual, first class fashion in 2006 when my mother, Alice Margaret Maly, died at 94 years of age.

That's why I have a special reason to greatly respect this marvelous man.

Kendall Meyer was one of the senior pastors with whom Pastor Pillack worked at Mount Olive.

I asked Kendall to give me some thoughts about Pastor Pillack, and it comes as no surprise that he high praise for him.

"I first got to know Pastor Pillack when I began my ministry at Mount Olive in 2009," Kendall said. "His deep love for the people of Mount Olive was evident to me from the very beginning.

"He loves visiting with people in their homes, providing a spiritual word of encouragement and giving the Lord's Supper.

"He loves sharing his life and stories with anyone who is willing to hear them, and has become an integral part of the social fabric at Mount Olive.

"I had the benefit of having Pastor Pillack take me under his wing to help me get to know the people and needs of the congregation.

I also asked Rev. David Mumm, another former senior pastor at Mount Olive, to give me his thoughts on Pastor Pillack.

He said: "The thing I remember most about Pastor Pillack is his gentle and always kind nature. He was always willing to help when he preached. It was always a message filled with Good News of our Savior's love for us sinners."

Pastor Pillack is pretty much retired these days, but I'll bet he could handle any church-related job if needed.

I mentioned earlier that you won't see Pastor Pillack in church without a necktie or without a suit or a sportcoat and dress pants.

That's the way it is with this man.

You know and I know that the clothing people wear to church has gotten a lot more informal at virtually every church in America in recent years.

Blue jeans are in [what the heck, I often wear 'em, too], dresses for women and suits and ties for men have gone the way of Fifties music and Studebaker automobiles.

You won't see Pastor Pillack dressed in blue jeans at church.

I don't know if he'll be wearing a tie and dress clothes at his birthday bash.

That's up to him.

Hey, he has the right to decide.

The way I look at it, when a man is celebrating his 85th birthday, he can wear anything he wants to wear.

Finally, here are more thoughts from Kendall Meyer on Pastor Pillack:

"His patient listening and way that he handles himself with the shut-ins and those in the hospital have guided the way that I do those visits today in my ministry [at the Lutheran Church of St. John in Quincy, Ill.] While I am thankful for those examples he provided me, since I was in the ministry for only a short time when I came to Mount Olive, I am most grateful for the private counsel he gave me as I sought to learn how to be a pastor and a dad at the same time. Pastor Pillack will be the first to acknowledge he didn't always make the best decisions during his ministry when it comes to the time he spent with his family. With this in mind, he wanted to pass on his experience to me to keep me from making some of the same mistakes. He told me, 'Pastor, don't ever forget your wife and your kids. You have a responsibility to them. You have those kids for a short time and your wife needs your help just like Norma needed my help.' I am thankful to him for his words of wisdom.

"When I accepted the call to the Lutheran Church of St. John, Pastor Pillack came up to me after my announcement and told me words that I will always carry in my ministry, 'Kendall, you will always have the Lord with you in your ministry. Be certain of that, be faithful and trust in Him. You will be missed. Thank you Pastor Pillack to the one who is a pastor's pastor. A wonderful and blessed happy 85th birthday to you, my friend.'"