RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Rich Rogers Never Met a Broken Bug He Couldn't Fix


By RON MALY

I was sorry to learn of the death of Rich Rogers, who never met a broken Bug he couldn't fix.
Rich Rogers
Rogers, longtime owner of the Rich's Skelly service station in the Valley Junction part of West Des Moines, died Monday at 77 years of age.
I got to know Rich 40 or so years ago when he ran his always-busy gas station/car repair business.

The reason I was on a first-name basis with him was because, at various times when my three sons were making the transition from boys to men, we owned four Volkswagen vehicles--two Bugs and two vans.

The first Bug [also known as a Beetle] was a 1959 version that I bought from Dan Callahan, a former standout high school and collegiate basketball coach in these parts.

Indeed, Callahan was such a well-known coach that he was one of Maury John's assistants when Drake finished third in the 1969 NCAA Final Four at Louisville, Ky.

The interesting part of the black '59 Volkswagen was that it had no gas gauge.
But it did have what was called a reserve tank that usually had enough gas in it to get the driver 25 or so miles down the road.
The first time I took the '59 Bug out for a ride, I thought I had run out of gas. I'm not God's gift to the car repair business or anything, so someone had to point out to me how to turn on the reserve tank so I could get to a gas station.
We had a lot of Volkswagens and a lot of other cars in those days because we had so many drivers.
All of my sons wanted to be behind the wheel of something or other, so I'd joke to people that I "had to have five cars so enough of 'em were running well enough to please everyone."
After the black 1959 Bug, we had a 1968 dark green Bug, plus the two Volkswagen vans--one a 1965, then a 1972.
Rich Rogers kept all of those vehicles, plus the Ford and the two Pontiacs I had in those days, in operating condition
It seemed like I had one car being worked on in Rich's garage and one in the parking lot waiting to be fixed every couple of weeks.
Rich kept 'em all in great shape.
Later in his life, after selling Rich's Skelly, he worked or volunteered for the city of West Des Moines, transporting senior citizens to medical appointments.
Rich would drive a van that picked up the seniors at their homes or apartments and took them to the offices where they had their appointments.
One of those seniors who rode in Rich's van in those years was my mother, who lived to be 94 and enjoyed visiting with Rich on her occasional rides to and from the doctors' offices.
Rest in peace, Rich. Thanks again for all the great work you did.