RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, February 27, 2017

What a Joke

By RON MALY
For some unknown reason, watching the Academy Awards show on TV became a tradition in my home many years ago.

Maybe it was because there wasn't much else to choose from on the tube.

It was either watch the Oscars being handed out to make-believe people who work in a make-believe business or watch Australian Rules Football on ESPN or an 'I Love Lucy" rerun on some other channel.


I recall preparing for the Adademy Awards show by driving to Babe's restaurant in downtown Des Moinest to spend $4 or so for a large pizza, opening a can of Diet Pepsi or some other beverage and watching people from Hollywood show off or make fools of themselves while wearing tuxedos and glittery dresses.

That shows you how long ago it was. Babe Bisignano was still living, he still had a restaurant and he was still selling $4 pizzas.

Those were the days, my friend.

We were going to a lot more movies in those years.

Now we go to hardly any.

I can't remember how long it's been since we actually saw a movie in a theater.

More than a year, I guess. Maybe two years.

But we kept the tradition going last night by watching the Academy Awards show on TV.

And what a mess it was.

Hollywood can't get it right these days either on the big screen or on TV at its own awards show.

I was still awake when the biggest screwup of all time happened in the final minutes of the Oscar show.

I was the dumb one. Maxine was the smart one. She was already sleepiing.

She didn't have to watch 'em hand out the Academy Award for the movie that didn't win.

Think about it.

That's like giving the Super Bowl trophy to the team that lost the game.

Over the hill actors Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway had either been in the sauce or didn't know what they were doing for some other reason when they told people in the building and the TV audience that "La La Land" won the best picture award.

But a minute into the celebration by "La La Land's" cast and crew, producer Jordan Horowitz stepped to the microphone, and said the real winner was "Moonlight."

"This is not a joke," Horowitz said as the cast and crew of "La La Land" left the stage.

Yes, it was a joke.

The joke was on Hollywood, which isn't getting much right these days.

Where was that "I Love Lucy" rerun when I needed it?

I guess I'll continue watching all of my movies on the Turner Classic channel for the next year.