RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I knew there was another reason why I have absolutely no interest in taking that bicycle trip across the state. I remembered it when I heard that a 63-year-old guy died of a heart attack on the second day of the trip. Tim Tresdale of West Branch, the man who died, wasn't just some Iowan who decided one day to put oil on the chain of some rusty old bike that was sitting in his garage, and decided he'd go on the ride in another week of hot, humid July weather in Iowa. The paper said he was "known in the international biking community for his custom frame designs, especially for mountain bikes." Obviously, the guy knew all about bikes. Hopefully, he also knew his body. I mean, I hope he knew the importance of visiting a doctor who realized the stress a 50-to-70-mile bike ride can have on a person's heart, lungs and other organs. My guess is that a hell of a lot of people on that bike trip don't know the importance of that stuff. I'm guessing there are more than a few people 63 years of age [some older, some younger] who are not physically fit to negotiate that type of bike ride. People from the paper started the bike ride. Can you imagine a grossly overweight team like Daniel P. Finney and his stabIemate Roland H. Thompson of the present newsroom at the paper saddling up on a tandem bike for a ride across the state? That's a horror picture I would not want to see. A pool of sweat 6 feet deep. A couple of massive heart attacks during the first mile of the ride, if you know what I mean. Getting back to reality, I feel very bad for Tim Tresdale and his family. He was the 29th person to die on that bike trip. I'm glad I stayed home again.