RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Fifty-Four Gang Hits the Big Six-Oh


By RON MALY

It's been a while since I've written something about high school reunions.
Cedar Rapids Roosevelt

Indeed, it was 11 years ago that I wrote a column about the 50-year reunion of my Wilson of Cedar Rapids graduating class.

I wasn't able to attend the reunion, but I heard so much about it that I wrote about it anyway.

The reason I couldn't be there was because the reunion was held on the same Saturday that my son, Mark, was among four F-16 pilots from the 132nd Fighter Wing of the Air Force National Guard in Des Moines who flew over Jack Trice Stadium in Ames prior to the Iowa-Iowa State football game.

I certainly wasn't about to miss that.

My 1953 Wilson class has held irregular reunions, and I've been able to make it to just one of them. 

That was the 40th.

It's a good thing they furnished name-tags because I sure had a tough time recognizing my classmates after all of those years.

The '53 gang didn't even bother having a 60-year reunion because of a lack of interest, and I'll write more about that later in this column.

Now I want to say a few things about the class reunion we'll be attending this weekend in Cedar Rapids.

It's the 60-year reunion of Maxine's 1954 Roosevelt High School class, and the committee members are doing things up right.

The reunion will be held from Friday night through Sunday morning, and there's enough stuff scheduled to please any bigtime party-goer in that age group.

Let me back up just a minute.

Wilson and Roosevelt were high schools in Cedar Rapids in the old four-school public school system there. 

Wilson is on the southwest side of town, Roosevelt is on the northwest side. The other public high schools in that time period were Franklin on the northeast side of town and McKinley on the southeast side.

All four schools are still in operation today, but kids younger than high school-age attend classes there.

Roosevelt's students from the 1954 graduating class have always done an outstanding job of scheduling and planning their reunions.

The planning committee for this reunion is made up of Rae Jeanne Guthrie Kilberger, Emily Hanzlik Norden, Joanne Hays Hennessey, Jean Henderson White, Bob Kent, Howard Kucera, Ron Olson, Judy Thomas Morningstar and Nancy Thompson Reed.

The literature sent to us by the committee says things will get started at 6 p.m. Friday.

"Come early and visit the new Bo Market and revitalized flood-damaged areas," it says. "Eating places are available. There will be a  6-10 p.m. social gathering, with a cash bar,  Pizza and snacks will be provided at Parlor City, 1125 Third Street SE."

The group tells us that a 2-hour bus tour, starting at 2 p.m. Saturday, will be led by longtime Cedar Rapids historian Mark Hunter. 

Visits will be made to sites including downtown Cedar Rapids, the New Bohemia area south of downtown, Czech Village on 16th Avenue Southwest, the "old Kingston" area off Third Avenue Southwest, west side neighborhoods including Time Check, Ellis Boulevard, Roosevelt School and the neighborhood around the school, areas around Harrison, Fillmore and Cleveland Schools, plus the St. Patrick's Catholic Church neighborhood.

"See and learn," the literature says, "about the history of Cedar Rapids and unique architecture; changes and improvements in the six years since the flood of 2008; updates on new developments in the historic neighborhoods; the many historic preservation projects currently under way, and revisits to the old neighborhoods and areas where you grew up."

The bus tour starts at the History Center, 615 First Avenue SE, and to me it sounds like a very good idea.

A buffet meal at the History Center starts at 6 p.m. Saturday, and a breakfast will be held Sunday morning for people who are still in the party and eating mood.

I called Bob Kent to find out more about the 1954 graduating class.

He told me there were 164 students in the class, and 60 members of the class and their spouses are scheduled to attend the reunion.

Sadly, 60 members of the class are deceased.

Among the deceased is Wilbur Lagerquist, a man I got in touch with several years ago when I was told that he put 40 years of Roosevelt yearbooks on a website.

Lagerquist, who had been in the printing business, told me the yearbook project had become a hobby.

When I told Lagerquist that I didn't find his photo and name in the 1954 Roosevelt yearbook, he said, "Well, I didn't graduate. But, had I stayed in school, I would have gotten my diploma in 1954. The class invites me to all of the reunions anyway."

Sorry he won't be at this one.

"Actually, we had two or three other students who weren't able to finish school at Roosevelt and get their diplomas," Bob Kent told me. "But we invite them back to the reunions, too."

I wrote about my 1953 class from Wilson High School earlier in this column. I mentioned that a 60-year reunion wasn't held last year because of a lack of interest.

Now, however, there appears to be some movement on perhaps holding a--get this--61-year reunion.


In an e-mail sent to members of the 1953 class, Lyle Matthews wrote, "Duane Rinderknecht just called me about a 61-year class reunion...I just want to know if there is any interest in getting together for a simple meal and conversation. I am very open to suggestions."

Whereupon, Janet Dyal Bostwick wrote, "Wow!  Great to hear from you.  Our class is just the best ever. Who else has an eleven-year reunion and now a 61st reunion?!?!?  I would absolutely love to see everyone. Right now we're staying at home in Arizona.  Bob doesn't like to travel.  However, if something gets put together, I might be able to make it. Please keep me posted.  If I can do anything from here, would be happy to help."   

Philippe "Phil" Faure, who spent some time at Wilson as a foreign exchange student from France, wrote that he and his wife probably won't be able to attend the reunion if one is held.

"It's just a pity," he wrote. "I have some problems of mobility because of my knees, and I am a bit [nervous] to travel [that distance]."

You're right, Phil. Nobody's knees are like they were when we were 17.