RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, February 16, 2015

When Tark the Shark Brought His Team To Hilton


The recent death of Jerry Tarkanian, known to basketball people as Tark the Shark, brought back memories to former Iowan Mike Swan, who now is a professor of mass communications and student sports media at Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kan. Here's Swan's email to me:

Ron,

As usual, I enjoy your writings very much. As you say, it's certainly a different voice from the one you used during your newspaper days.  But it is great to read material from someone who is plugged-in to old school and "new school" journalism.
Tark the Shark


I intend to enjoy Valentine's Day, and I hope you do the same. My wife is working this morning and we have basketball broadcasts tonight, but I'll find a way.

With the recent passings of big-time coaches, I just felt like sending along some thoughts on Jerry Tarkanian this morning.

I remember his UNLV team coming into Hilton in 1975. He was just starting his dominant winning ways as coach at that school, and that ISU squad was going to be mired in a disastrous 3-24 campaign under Ken Trickey.

"Tark" was a relatively young man, but didn't look that much different from the coach that oversaw Larry Johnson and an NCAA title team later. Even then, we knew he wasn't as pure as the driven snow, but it was fascinating to watch him coach. He knew how to entertain, and his team did play very strong defense.

The Runnin' Rebels were already rock stars coming in there.  They had a freshman guard, Reggie Theus, who would go on to a memorable NBA career. And players like Glen Gondrezick, Eddie Owens and Robert Smith

Iowa State was in disarray, but had a star in Hercle Ivy and also a lot of young guys who weren't quite ready yet.  In addition, there were players with marginal athletic ability, including a couple of hardworking walk-ons. It was quite a patchwork team.

But what transpired in that game was electifying.

Trickey's staff came up with some good strategy, having forward Art Johnson bring the ball up the floor to relieve the pressure defense.  Iowa State played inspired basketball, and finally dropped an 88-82 thriller.

In those days, students could sit in the parquet on the north side (great seats) and, as high school seniors, we found our way down there.

Everything was a surprise in that game, which makes athletics great, in my opinion.

I found out recently that Art Johnson has passed away. I guess he was quite a high school star in Indianapolis, but it wasn't easy for him under Trickey, who did not do a good coaching job in Ames.

Ron, I also lived in South Texas for half a dozen years, south of San Antonio, where Tarkanian had a short stint with the Spurs. He was like a fish out of water there, with coaching suited a lot more for the college game.

Keep writing, Ron!

Sincerely,

Mike Swan

[RON MALY'S COMMENTS: Mike, thanks for refreshing my memory about Tark the Shark's appearance 40 years ago at Hilton Coliseum.  I covered plenty of games Jerry Tarkanian coached, and it's interesting how he went from being thought of as a bum to a basketball coach who actually got some respect after he whipped the NCAA in a lawsuit late in his career.  I guess I regarded him as a thug for many years, and I thought he recruited thugs to play for him. Just the sounds of the names Nevada-Las Vegas, UNLV,  Tark the Shark and the Runnin' Rebels caused me to think of rule-breaking.  You also brought back plenty of memories with the mention of Ken Trickey.  Frankly, I couldn't believe it when Lou
Ken Trickey
McCullough, then the athletic director at Iowa State, hired Trickey to coach the basketball team. One reason I think Trickey appealed to McCullough was because things were a lot different in the 1970s when it came to attendance at Hilton Coliseum. The crowds weren't big, and McCullough thought Trickey's run-and-gun offensive style would bring people into the building. He had been a big winner at Oral Roberts University. But it turned out Trickey was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He could never get his program off the ground, and fans lost interest quickly.  I was on hand in Ames when Trickey was announced as the Cyclones' coach, and he invited me to sit on his bench during a game. So I took him up on it. I wound up writing a story about my time on his bench in for the Picture magazine publication that was carried in the Des Moines Sunday Register in those days.  Another thing I did in that era was host an hour-long interview show on the Iowa Public Television Network, and Trickey was one of my favorite guests. Indeed, I invited him to appear on the show the week he was fired at Iowa State, and he graciously agreed to appear. I wish he could've done better as the Cyclones' coach. He was a good guy. Thanks for writing, Mike].