RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Harold Yeglin Still Going Strong As He Approaches 90

By RON MALY

It was a muggy July night in 1959.

There was still a train that carried passengers from Albert Lea, MN, to downtown Des
Train station in Albert Lea, MN
Moines in those days, and I took it one

Saturday to interview for a job on the sports copy desk at the paper.

At the time, I was sports editor of the Albert Lea Tribune.  

Leighton Housh, then the executive sports editor of the paper here, wanted to interview me for a copy editor/bowling columnist job that soon would be open.

Part of the interview process was to work a night on the desk to see what editing sports stories for a metropolitan paper was all about.

After finishing my interview with Housh, who pretty much ran the day-to-day operations of a department headed by legendary sports editor Sec Taylor, I started my 8-hour shift on the copy desk.

Seasoned veterans like Howard Kluender  [also known sometimes as Elmo, other times as  Big Stoop], Buck Turnbull, Harold Yeglin, Bill Holden and Ed Alsene were among those working that night.
Eyeshade worn by some copy editors


Sports news editor Bob Price was on vacation, so Elmo was filling in for him. 

The job that soon would be open was the one belonging to Alsene, who wrote bowling columns in addition to his sports copy desk responsibilities. 

A day or so after returning to Albert Lea, Housh called me to say I was hired.  He also mailed me a paycheck for the 8 hours I spent on the copy desk that Saturday night.

Class guy, Leighton Housh.

I not only was awarded Alsene's copy editing job, but also his bowling columnist responsibilities, even though I knew virtually nothing about bowling and threw lots of gutter balls whenever I tried my luck at the game.

With that background, I covered the 62-day national American Bowling Congress tournament at Veterans Memorial Auditorium  for the paper a couple of years later, and won several awards for my writing--including a TV and a set of outdoor furniture.

Some of the people who oversaw what I did on the sports copy desk that Saturday night scattered.

Some are no longer living.

Buck Turnbull still lives in Des Moines, and I talk to him and email him frequently.

Harold Yeglin lives in Virginia, and we correspond, too.

Indeed, I heard from him a few days ago. Here's his email:

"Hi, Ron Maly!

"Fresh news about Bruce Jenner  brings memories of those good old days  and big headlines in the  Big Peach. when he won the decathlon. I'm wondering how Miss Jenner will go over at Graceland College where, undoubtedly, he's been an all-time athletic hero.

"Hope you and  family are well.  OK here. I'll be 90 in December....25 years since retiring from The Register and  leaving for Roanoke.  Health: Generally OK. I read  USA Today and Wall Street Journal daily at a nearby library -- after visually editing the so-so Roanoke Times. Then there are daily Cubs game via Internet (things are looking up!)  Basketball season  was terrific --  Cyclones,  Hawks, UNI and Virginia on the tube. 

"I visit daughter Sara & family in Atlanta (one-hour flight) 3-4 times a year. She & husband Mark have been at CNN for 25-plus years. My grandkids are girls 10 and 12. Son Kent is engineer at four San Francisco FM stations.

"Ron, all the best to you and family.

 "-- Harold."

[RON MALY'S COMMENTS--It was great hearing from Yeglin, and I'm happy he's still going strong as he approaches his 90th birthday. The fact that he's had a long life indicates he survived the rough-and-tumble newspaper business very well.  I'm glad for him [and for Chicago Cubs fans everywhere] that the longtime losers are in the early stages of what could develop into a successful season. Harold is a longtime Cubs follower. In my email to Yeglin, I told him I saw Buck Turnbull's wife, Jay, at a Valley High School basketball game late in the winter, but Buck had the flu and stayed home. I want Yeglin to know that I had lunch with Bill Holden [another member of the paper's sports copy desk in 1959] a number of years ago in Paris. Holden then had a top job with the International Herald Tribune in Paris, and I told him in advance that we were going to be in the beautiful city for a summer visit while traveling through Europe. Bill and I arranged to have lunch. He had become fluent in the French language, and impressed me by ordering our food in French when the waiter arrived.  Like I said, people on that copy desk nearly 56 years ago have scattered.  A few have died.  I think I recall Mike Gartner being a summer sports department parttimer in 1959. Despite many assorted problems, rumor has it  he is still alive. Gartner might have had early stages of little man's disease in 1959 [I guess it more properly could have then been called little boy's disease], and he now shows signs of having the end-stage version of little man's disease. But I've got more important things to do on a very pleasant Thursday afternoon than write about Gartner and Bruce Jenner [whom Yeglin referred to as Miss Jenner in his email to me].  I  hope Jenner, who obtained a degree in physical education from Graceland College [now called Graceland University] in Lamoni, IA, in 1973, somehow finds peace one of these days. He was a gold medalist in the decathlon at the 1976 Summer Olympics. We all thought he then was a  man, but he now says he is a woman. Oh, well.  I'll touch base with you  later.]
[Photos courtesy of Google.]