RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Cheapest Exercise God Blessed Us With

By RON MALY

Occasionally when My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut comes over for a cup of Italian Dark Roast,  we zero in on the subject of walking. 

Walking Shoes
Al keeps a close watch on his vascular system, so he's become a bigtime walker. 

I try to do plenty of walking, too. 

Consequently, our discussions about the cheapest exercise God blessed us with are very easy to get into.  

That said, I ran into some information recently on my computer put together by my friends at the Cleveland Clinic that had to do with walking. 

The story said that people who walk regularly swear by the health and psychological benefits of the activity. 

Five major benefits of walking are:

 

1. Walking reduces stress, cheers you up and increases self-esteem.


2. You can lose weight by walking just 30 minutes a day.

 

3. Regular walking lowers blood pressure, improves sleep and energizes you.


4. Walks can be easier and more fun with a pedometer and a pal.

5. People experience a major dip in snack cravings during and after a 15-minute walk.

After reading the list of walking's benefits, Al said that maybe I should forward them to Daniel P. Finney, the mean-spirited and  miserable 562-pounder in the newsroom at the paper.

"That poor guy is flirting with an early death,  and he sure as hell needs to improve his self-esteem ," Al said.  "He hates everyone, including himself.

"I agree, but I'll let you forward the list to Finney," I told Al.  "I already donate to plenty of charities."