RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I'll Know Better Next Time

By RON MALY

Channel 23 in Des Moines is carrying a few Chicago Cubs games this season, and those are the only times I watch the station. 


I was still viewing last night's [and this morning's] game at San Diego past midnight on channel 23. 

The Cubs lost, 4-3, because hopeless-excuse-for-a-shortstop Starlin Castro made an error, and so did rookies Kris Bryant and Addison Russell.  

My TV was still on channel 23 this morning when I turned it on. 

Staying up past midnight to watch the Cubs lose was mistake No. 1 by me. 

Mistake No. 2 was still having the station on this morning. 

At 8:52 a.m., people from the station were interviewing Rekha Basu  about something she wrote for the paper last Sunday. 

Basu is on the other side of the mountain now, and the years haven't been kind to her. She's looking pretty rough these days [and nights], and having to see her blabbing away before 9 o'clock in the morning about some crap she wrote for a paper that was several days old made her look even rougher. 

I've got no one to blame but myself. 

A newspaper guy from Fort Dodge mentioned
A much younger version of Rekha Basu
to me a number of years ago in the press box at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City that he couldn't stand Basu's writing. 


"Then don't read it," I told him. 

I didn't follow my own advice today. 

I should've switched  my TV from channel 23 to channel 206 [ESPN] or 231 [the cooking channel] early this morning before shutting it off. 

Had I done that, I wouldn't have had to see and hear Basu before 9 o'clock this morning.

I'll know better next time.