RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, May 9, 2015

That Russell Kid Of the Cubs

By RON MALY

Rave all you want about Kris Bryant, the much -ballyhooed Chicago Cubs' rookie third baseman. And who, by the way, still hasn't hit a
Addison Russell
home run as a major leaguer. I certainly have nothing against Bryant. Considering his experience, he's a hitter who shows plenty of promise, and as a fielder he's better than I expected. But I'm starting to wonder if Addison Russell, the Cubs' rookie second baseman, isn't an even stronger player. Russell, 21, quietly has hit in 11 consecutive games--four of them against the the St. Louis Cardinals, the best team in baseball. Russell has already swatted two home runs since being called up by the Cubs on April 21.
...Russell has been playing out of position on defense. He's a shortstop who is doing a decent job at second base. I've heard that Russell , a first round draft choice who came to the Cubs last summer in a trade with Oakland, is actually the best shortstop in the Chicago system. He's not playing there
Starlin Castro
because of the continued presence of Starlin Castro. For my money, I'd get rid of Castro as soon as possible. I watched him in the four-game series with St. Louis [three Cardinal  victories, one loss], and he is still the immature, undependable, lack-of-hustle  player he was when he got to the bigs five years ago. He might make one superb defensive play, then screw things up with three terrible plays. I'd dump him and put Russell at shortstop. For Castro, maybe the Cubs can get a relief pitcher who can give up fewer than five runs in the sixth inning
....Like I said, St. Louis is clearly the best team in baseball right now. Indeed, the Cardinals might be the best major league team I've ever seen. It pains me to write that, of course, because I've never been someone who wanted St. Louis to win. Indeed, I enjoy watching baseball on TV for two reasons: 1. Hoping the Cardinals lose. 2. Hoping the Cubs win. Yes, in  recent years, I've altered

some of my thinking: I like watching the Cardinals lose even more than seeing the Cubs win....I guess I'm not alone. I heard the Cardinals' TV announcers say the other day that there are growing amounts of baseball fans nationwide who have become Cardinal-haters because of St. Louis' success in recent years....I realize sportswriters at the paper are catching hell from letters-to-the-editor writers about coverage of Iowa and Iowa State athletics, but the real problem continues to be the horrible coverage of high school sports. It's the worst it has ever been. Brad Wilson and Chuck Burdick, who were longtime stalwarts in the paper's high school coverage in years gone by, are no doubt rolling over in their graves....Back to the Cubs one more time: I'm starting to think Javier Baez, the clueless Triple-A shortstop,
Javier Baez
will never make it to the bigs as a fulltime player. Chicago already has enough rally-killers. Joe Maddon is a very smart manager. He knows the best place for Baez is minor league baseball. Heck, maybe Oakland or some other sucker of a team will take Baez in a trade for a relief pitcher who can pitch the seventh inning....
Desperate baseball teams do desperate things.  The Cleveland Indians for some reason decided to reach a minor league agreement with relief pitcher Carlos Marmol, a one-time Cubs flame-thrower who couldn't find the batters' box with any pitches in his aresenol in his final seasons with Chicago. Good luck to Cleveland on that one.