RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Balltown

By RON MALY

 

I seem to recall going to Balltown, a tiny town of 60 or so people in northeast Iowa, back in the previous century with photographer Bob Modersohn to do a feature story for the paper.

 

The reason I'm bringing up Balltown is because the place has been in the news lately.

 

Some knucklehead wrote on the Internet or somewhere else that Balltown is a community with a dirty name.

 

Whatever clown that wrote that stuff evidently didn't know his or her history.

 

Legend has it that Balltown actually was named after John Ball, a settler who lived on an island on the Mississippi River in 1850 or so.

 

Bob Modersohn and I sure as heck didn't go to Balltown to do our story because we thought it had a dirty name.

 

Indeed,  it never dawned on us that Balltown might be a town with a dirty name.

 

Not that Modersohn and I were altar boys by any means.

 

We knew all the cuss words and occasionally used them in world-class style, especially when we were talking about bosses at the paper.

 

I actually think we went to Balltown to find out if the town had a ballteam or a ballfield.

 

Of course, we also knew that a feature of Balltown was that it was the location of Breitbach's restaurant, the oldest in Iowa.

 

As I recall, Balltown had neither a ballteam nor a ballfield.

 

By the way, if it wasn't actually Modersohn who went to Balltown with me to do the story, it was Dave Finch, another photographer at the paper.

 

Finch and I had some assignments that were real doozies.

 

I know it wasn't Larry Neibergall or George Ceolla who went to Balltown with me.

 

I've sent Modersohn a message to find out for sure if he was the photographer who accompanied me to Ballfield.

 

He'll get back to me, and I'll let you know.

 

I also asked Modersohn in my message if it was on the Balltown job or on an assignment in some other northeast Iowa town that we each consumed a quart of beer in the company car on the way home. 

 

Don't forget, that was a long, long time ago.

 

Modersohn and I were a lot younger then.

 

And please don't tell my grandchildren that part of the story.

*

[Photo of Balltown on the map and facts about Balltown history courtesy of Wikipedia].