RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Former Iowan Richard Hayman Checks In

Hello, Mr. Maly. 

As usual, I hope this quick note finds you doing well.

As I work on my dissertation, I am more convinced than ever that we are going nowhere as a country until we fix public education. In an interesting conversation with one of my sisters this past weekend, I was reminded of how starkly different things are in Iowa than they are in places like Memphis, where we have large populations of poor and under-educated who really have no access to a decent education. Free bicycles for perfect attendance are hardly an inducement when you are signing up for 180 days of fearing for your safety and well-being. We are systematically creating a large underclass, not so much seen in places like Iowa, but inescapably present in places like Memphis. The civil unrest of the Summer of 2016 suggests to me that as long as we continue to perpetuate differences, we will have differences. Public education, and educational leadership, must play a defining role in shaping a better future. I think our Union depends on it.

It's great to see the Hawkeyes off to a good start. I must take partial credit for the beat-down last weekend. Before the game, from my living room, I gave the team a pep talk, and told them that I wouldn't hold them back. They were free to go out and light it up. It was time, especially with Coach Fry in town, to deliver one of those Frying pan whuppings that have for too long been absent from the rivalry. I was thrilled the team responded.

I have written in the past about our quarterback situation, so I'll not say anything more than it is great to see C.J. prospering in the role. What I will lament, however, is that I have yet to see a Hawkeye  video featuring Akrum Wadley. I would call it: Wadley's Greatest Whiffs. Akrum Breaking Ankles. I have always liked this kid, and hope that he stays healthy. Like he says, there is plenty of room for him to get carries. Speaking of carries, I really NEED to see Derrick Mitchell get some handoffs. I think we have a mauler on deck, and I'm looking forward to the first time he gets some meaningful carries.

The team is loaded with good guys, hard-working guys, who are buying into the system. I frequently find myself thinking about General Ferentz, leading his troops into battle. We seem to have developed a strong mentality of giving it up for the team, and I think the guys have realized that it the best way to get everyone home. It's  really gratifying to watch. It really is.

Finally, I wish we would see more articles about how few of our players are getting into trouble. We could compare and contrast with SEC teams! Surely, I'm not the only one who has noticed that these guys are behaving dramatically different off the field.  I am sure there have to be some feel -good stories in what this army of guys is doing off the field, and on slow sports days, it would be nice to see those kind of stories appearing. Maybe I'm reminiscing about The Big Peach.

Here's to a great season!!

All the best,

Richard Hayman