RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Split Personality

By RON MALY

I was having a conversation with a very good friend the other day when the subject somehow moved to an automobile that could be turned
Amphicar. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia
into a boat. 


Keep in mind that no one was consuming alcohol during this particular discussion, so I 
had to assume my friend wasn't telling me a phony story. 

"The vehicle was called an Amphicar, and I rode in one," my friend insisted. "It could be driven on streets and roads, and it also had propellers in the back that could turn it into a boat." 

Hey, I thought I'd heard everything, but this car/boat deal had somehow slipped past me. 

Anyway, I looked it up on the Internet and, by gosh, Wikipedia described the Amphicar 770 as an amphibious automobile that was launched at the 1961 New York Auto Show. 

Credit [or blame] the Germans for it, just like the 1959 Volkswagen with no gas tank that I bought from Dan Callahan. 

The Amphicar was manufactured in West Germany and marketed in the United States from 1961 through 1967. So it didn't last long. 

More from the Wikipedia description: "The Amphicar's engine was mounted at the rear of the craft, driving the rear wheels through a 4-speed manual transmission. For use in the water, the same engine drove a pair of reversible propellers at the rear, with a second gear lever engaging forward or reverse drive. Once in the water, the main gear lever would normally be left in neutral. By engaging first gear as well as drive to the propellers when approaching a boat ramp, the Amphicar could drive itself out of the water." 

I advanced this conversation one more step by telling my friend that I'd look through Popular Mechanics or the car ads to see if I could find an Amphicar that's for sale. 

Then, again, maybe not. 

What's a guy with a Honda and a Miata already sitting in a 2-car garage going to do with a 1960s vehicle that doesn't know if it wants to be a car or a boat? 

Especially during an Iowa winter.