RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, September 9, 2016

I'm All for It

By RON MALY

People are asking me what I think of the Kirk Ferentz deal at Iowa.

Kirk Ferentz

They're referring, of course, to the nice contract extension and the nice pay raise the Hawkeyes' football coach is getting.

I'm all for it.

I doubt many people critical of the extension and raise went through what I went through in the previous century.

The 19 consecutive non-winning Hawkeye  seasons, I mean.

The firing of Jerry Burns, Ray Nagel, Frank Lauterbur and Bob Commings in that ugly chapter of Hawkeye football, I mean.

That wasn't fun.

The 19 straight years of lousy football weren't fun for Burns, Nagel, Lauterbur and Commings; they weren't fun for Iowa's athletic administration; they weren't fun for Hawkeye fans, and they weren't fun for me.

There are only so many ways a guy can explain a football defeat in print, and I think I discovered all of 'em.

What Kirk Ferentz is doing at Iowa is fun.

I'm glad he's getting a contract extension and a pay raise.

He's a class guy who is running a class football program at Iowa.