RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bulldogs Know How To Get Their Bellies Full


By RON MALY

Earlier in the week, I was told that Drake's men's and women's coaches and some of the players would be appearing at the second monthly basketball lunch today in West Des Moines. 


They've never held a basketball lunch that I didn't like, so I made it my plan to attend. 

I should mention that I missed the first lunch last month because it took place the day before we left on a 15-day cruise to Hawaii. 

I was too busy making sure I had enough sun-block in my suitcase to be thinking about basketball that day. 

This morning,  I called Paul Morrison, Drake's 96-year-old historian and do-everything gentleman, to make sure he was going to be at the lunch.

After all, it's not an official lunch if Paul Morrison isn't there.

"If there's a basketball lunch, I'll be there," Morrison promised me. 

When I arrived at the Sheraton Hotel, which is in its first year of hosting the lunches, I expected to see Morrison at the table outside the banquet room, collecting money from Bulldog Club members for the tickets. 

Like I said, Paul Morrison is a do-everything kind of guy. 

I think the only job he hasn't had at Drake was that of university president, and I'm not betting he won't wind up doing that one of these days. 

Anyway, Paul was already sitting at one of the lunch tables when I spotted him. 

"You wanted to make sure you got a good seat and that they didn't run out of food until you got yours, right, Paul?" I said. 

"You bet," Morrison said. 

Anyway, there were about 90 Drake fans, coaches, players, administrative people and hangers-on at the lunch. 

One guy showed up wearing a Santa Claus hat, and I wasn't sure if it was the Register's  publisher or someone taking time out from his responsibilities of tending to a Salvation Army collection bucket. 

Whatever, the Santa hat made it an official pre-Christmas lunch. 

Most of the people paid $15 for their meal, and they got a good deal.   

The majority was served beef sandwiches. A few other people, non-meat eaters like me, got a darn good pasta-and-vegetables meal. 

And the apple pie for dessert really hit the spot. 

I've been hanging around the Drake sports scene for so long that I think I've been to at least six or seven restaurants where the basketball lunches have been held. 

The first one I attended was at the Kirkwood Hotel in downtown Des Moines. Maury John was the coach then, and when I said he was the coach, I mean he was the coach

That was probably in about 1960 or 1961, and there was no women's basketball program at Drake in those days. 

Just a men's program, and an excellent program it was. 

All of us old-timers know that. 

"Do you have any idea how many places these lunches have been held over the years?" I asked Morrison. 

"I've been meaning to research that," said Morrison, who still shows up to work in his cubbyhole of an office in the Drake athletic department.  "I'm guessing at least nine or 10 places." 

Unlike other years, Drake's lunches this winter are combined men's and women's lunches. 

Women's coach Jennie Baranczyk and men's coach Ray Giacoletti took turns talking about their teams today. 

Also present were three women's players and three men's players, plus assistant coaches. All of them took turns at the microphone. 

The themes of the day were, Drake is a wonderful place to attend school and to play and coach basketball; it's great that both the men's [7-3] and women's [5-4] teams are over .500, and the men's team has a chance to accomplish something special this season after being picked to finish in last place in the Missouri Valley Conference  in preseason voting.  

Everyone left the lunch room happy and with their bellies full. You couldn't beat that on an otherwise dark day in December.