RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It was 3:45 this afternoon and things were going well. I'd had appointments with two doctors--one male doctor, one female doctor--this morning, and both said I was fit as a fiddle. Well, as fit as a fiddle a guy my age could expect to be anyway. After returning home and enjoying a pasta-with olive-oil-jalapeno lunch, I watched the first eight innings of the Cubs-Yankees game on TV, The Cubs were ahead, 2-0, so [assuming the bullpen could get three more outs], they'd sweep the two-game series from the hapless Bronx Bombers. I was scheduled to meet Mike Mahon and 96-year-old [97 in July] Paul Morrison on Free Pie Day at Village Inn. On the drive to the restaurant, I was thinking about telling Mahon and Morrison something like, "After watching last night's game [a 6-1 Cubs victory] and today's game [which I assumed the Cubs would win, 2-0)], I'm thinking this is the worst Yankee team I've ever seen." I should have known better than to be having crazy thoughts like that running through my mind. While I was still on my first cup of Dark Roast at Village Inn, Mahon was checking the sports news on his smartphone, and informed me that the Yankees had tied the game, 2-2, against the Cubs' closer. "That means the Cubs are dead," I said. "They'll never win in extra innings." I was right. The Cubs lost, 4-2, in 13 innings. So I've changed my mind. A little anyway. This season's Yankee team is still the worst I can ever recall. The worst Yankee team, I mean. But the Cubs are worse than the Yankees. Much worse. By the way, my pie selection today was triple-berry. It was a lot better than the baseball game.

Paul Morrison