RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Some wonderful things happen in the music departments at the West Des Moines public schools, and there hasn't been a presentation in recent years that didn't receive a "1" rating in my personal scorebook. Maybe because it was the most recent, maybe not, but the music [instrumental and vocal] produced by students at the Valley Southwoods Freshman High School Fine Arts Festival was perhaps the best I've seen and heard. A massive group of ninth-graders [one of whom was my youngest grandaughter, who fills the air with some excellent clarinet music, if I say so myself] put on quite a show before an overflow crowd in the Southwoods gym. My favorite number was Pie Jesu by the Valley Southwoods Orchestra & Chorus. Pie Jesu is a wonderful piece of music originally produced by the famous Andrew Lloyd Webber, and the Southwoods students performed it masterfully. In addition, the Southwoods Orchestra performed Portrait for Two Cellos In G Minor, Allegro, Halo No. 3 Themes and Orange Jam. The Full Orchestra did Orpheus In the Underwold, the Concert Band did Led Zeppelin On Tour, the Basie Band and Singers did Duke's Place, the Southwoods Singers did Return, the Treble Clef Choir did I'm Goin' Up a Yonder, the Bass Clef Choir did The Drunken Sailor, the Combined Clef Choir did Count On Me, and the Music Department did Irving Berlin's America, Hello, Goodbye [songs of the Beatles in concert]. It was great to hear God Bless America, and it was a nice gesture to invite members of the audience on stage to perform with the students in the Beatles Medley. An adult woman seated in front of me came fully prepared for that. She brought a violin in its case into the school, then unpacked it and carried it onto the floor to help with the music. There were others who did the same thing. A number of adult singers also joined the student choirs. If I'd have known they were going to let people bring their musical instruments into the gym, I would've brought the clarinet I played for a few months when I attended fourth grade at Lincoln School in Cedar Rapids. Just kidding about that. I think my dad sold the clarinet shortly after I quit taking lessons many, many years ago.