RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Fist Bumping the Doctor


By RON MALY

I could tell something wasn't right with My Neighbor Al, The Health Nut when he came over today for an early-afternoon cup of Italian Dark Roast.


"What's the problem, Al?" I asked.

"Oh, it's not even worth mentioning. I've been bothered by a cold for the last couple of weeks," he answered. "It's made me feel crappy most of the time."

"I can understand," I said. "That kind of stuff seems to be going around. Did you have your flu shot?"

"Yes, me and the missus both got our shots at the Mercy walk-in clinic in Clive," Al said. "I'd hate to blame my problems on the flu shot, but you never know, do you?"

"You sure don't," I said. "All I can say is, you're not getting any younger, so make sure that cold doesn't develop into pneumonia or something."

"I'm watching it carefully," Al said. "I had a doctor's appointment today, but not for the cold. Actually, I felt a little better while talking to the doctor."

"Why was that?" I asked.

"Well, she had a cold, too," Al explained. "Kind of the same stuff I've had. She calls it 'The Crud,' and she said it kept her in bed for two days the week after Thanksgiving. She didn't even shake my hand like she usually does. She and I did a fist bump.

"So the fist bump made you feel better?" I asked. 

"Not so much that," Al said. "I just felt a little better knowing I had a cold and probably wouldn't get sick being around the doctor. Hell, she was coughing more than I am.

"Pour me another cup. That Italian Dark Roast feels good on my throat."