RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, December 4, 2014

My Neighbor Al Got Fired Up When I Told Him About Nebraska's New Football Coach. Al Thought the New Guy Was Ex-Hawkeye Mike Reilly Of Dubuque. I Said He Had the Wrong Mike. It's Mike Riley Of Oregon State. Al Said, 'Mike Who From Where?'


By RON MALY

My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut came over for a cup of Italian Dark Roast at mid-afternoon.

He was in a decent mood, which is usually the case after he's had an appointment with one of his doctors.

"I feel like I could run 10 miles!" Al told me.

 "Easy now," I said. "Ten miles might be about 9 miles too many. How come you're feeling so good?"

"Because my LDL went from 100 to 90 on my latest blood test."

I know all about LDL and HDL. LDL is bad cholesterol and HDL is good cholesterol.  I'm well aware that Al has been working on his LDL, trying to get it as low as he can.  In addition to taking a Lipitor  tablet every night for his cholesterol, he's swallowing three fish oil pills every morning.

"That's great, Al," I said about his improved LDL score. "But let's talk about your cholesterol some other time. Right now, I want to talk some football. Did you hear that Nebraska hired a new coach today?"

"No, I didn't," Al said. "Who is he?"
New Nebraska coach Mike Riley

"Mike Riley," I answered.

"You mean the guy from Dubuque who used to play linebacker for the Iowa Hawkeyes, the Chicago Bears and the Minnesota Vikings in the1960s?" Al asked. "After his playing days were over, I listened to him talk football on radio station WMT in Cedar Rapids. He was Ron Gonder's color man on the Iowa broadcasts. Damn good color man. But when did he leave radio work and go into coaching?"

"No, not that guy, Al." I said. "I'm not talking about Mike Reilly of Dubuque. I'm talking
Ex-Hawkeye, Bear, Viking Mike Reilly
about Mike Riley of Oregon State. Different spelling of the last name."


"Mike Who? Mike Riley of Oregon State?" Al said. "I thought there was only one team in Oregon, and it was the University of Oregon. I didn't know football was a major sport at Oregon State."

"Well, Oregon State actually has a Division I team," I said. . "I know all we ever hear about is Oregon and those flashy green and yellow uniforms. Mike Riley coached Oregon State to a 5-7 record this season."

"You mean Nebraska hired a guy who went 5-7 this season to  to replace Bo Pelini, who was fired after going 9-3?" Al said. "What kind of sense does that make?"

"Probably no sense at all," I answered. "Riley no doubt wanted out from under Oregon's shadow. The Huskers aren't in anybody's shadow in Nebraska--at least not in football. But Creighton is the best basketball school over there."

"Was Mike Riley the first choice at Nebraska?" Al asked.

"I doubt it," I said. "I'm hearing that Bret Bielema, the  old Iowa linebacker who coached at Wisconsin and now is at Arkansas, turned down the Nebraska job before it was offered to Riley."

"Too bad," Al said. "It would've been fun having Bielema back in the Big Ten. I always liked his postgame handshakes with Jim Walden when he was playing for Iowa and Walden was coaching Iowa State.

"Pour me another cup."