RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

When they were paying me to write about collegiate basketball in the previous century, I always enjoyed watching Jess Settles play for the Hawkeyes. Good shooter, good rebounder, tough competitor. Little did I know then that there would someday be a Big Ten TV network and that Settles would, in 2014, be an entertaining commentator on it. I enjoyed listening to Settles during Northern Iowa's 56-44 victory over Iowa tonight in the Big Four Classic at Wells Fargo Arena. As I pointed out in an earlier column, I chose to be in church late this afternoon and early tonight so I could hear Christmas music. Consequently, I didn't go to the games involving this state's Division I teams. In the first game, Iowa State crushed Drake, 83-54. All I care to say about that trainwreck is I'm wondering how long the coaches and administrators at Drake expect Bulldog fans to maintain their patience. The Drake faithful deserve much more than what they're getting this season from a rag-tag team representing a university with a strong basketball tradition. For Drake's sake, it's a good thing TV coverage of its 29-point loss was limited to lowly Mediacom. Now back to Settles and the second game, which saw Northern Iowa play outstanding defense and take advantage of another last-half Hawkeye collapse. In this day and age, it's difficult for any major-college team to connect on just 3 of 24 field goal attempts in the second half [you don't see that very often in the noon league at the YMCA], but Iowa found a way to pull it off. Settles made a point of saying a number of UNI players actually wanted to be recruited by Iowa, but weren't, and used tonight's performance to show that Hawkeye coaches made mistakes by snubbing them. Whatever the case, UNI clearly outplayed Iowa, and deserves to be among the nation's top 25 teams in next week's national rankings. By the way, the Christmas music at Mt. Olive Lutheran tonight was sensational.