RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Flashback: A Relic Of a Basketball Arena, Bugs Bagstad, Otis Dypwick and a Rookie Sports Editor


By RON MALY

While watching on TV as Iowa beat Minnesota, 77-75, in a Big Ten basketball game a couple of nights ago, I went into rewind.  

The game was played at Williams Arena, a relic of a place on the Minnesota campus. 
The Barn


People often refer to Williams Arena now as The Barn.

One reason they call it The Barn is because it's so old. 

I mean, Williams Arena was old when I saw my first game there more than a half-century ago.  

I had just gotten my degree from the University of Iowa in January, 1958, and I was in my first few months of being sports editor at the Albert Lea [Minn.] Tribune

Even though the Albert Lea Tigers weren't a good basketball team that season, and weren't threats to make it to the state high school tournament, my boss and I thought it would be  a good idea for me to cover the tournament.  

The event, which lasted nearly a week, was held at Williams Arena, which then had a seating capacity of more than 18,000.  

Because I knew little about Minneapolis, the boss thought it would be a good idea to send someone with me to show me around the big city.  

He chose Palmer "Bugs" Bagstad, a longtime sports fan who worked in the printing department at my paper. 

Bugs' job was to drive me to Minneapolis, and to get me to wherever I needed to be. 

His reward was free lodging in Minneapolis and a ticket to all of the games in the tournament. 

It was a good deal for Bugs and a good deal for me.

I had obtained a press credential to the tournament from Otis Dypwick, who then was the sports information at the University of Minnesota.  

Dypwick and his staff were responsible for media credentials,  scorekeeping and setting up  interviews at the tournament. 

With a guy who had an unforgettable name like Otis Dypwick, you had to figure he was pretty darn knowledgeable and pretty darn important. 

Otis Dypwick certainly was both. 

Otis was also a very nice man. 

I was 22 years of age when I covered the tournament, but probably looked [and maybe sometimes acted] like I was 15. 

I had a lot of questions for Otis Dypwick during that high school tournament, and he patiently answered all of them. 

It didn't make any difference that I was a rookie sports editor from a smalltown southern Minnesota paper. 

He treated me with as much respect as he treated the reporters from Minneapolis and St. Paul.  

Thanks, Otis Dypwick, and thanks, Bugs Bagstad, for making my first trip to Williams Arena a pleasure.  

In 1958, I wasn't surprised by the noise generated inside Williams Arena because I had watched many games--of both the high school and collegiate variety--at Iowa Fieldhouse in Iowa City, another relic of a place.  

A huge difference between Williams Arena and Iowa Fieldhouse is that Minnesota still plays its games at Williams and Iowa now plays in Carver-Hawkeye Arena. 

Williams Arena has undergone a number of revisions over the years. Indeed, its seating capacity is now 14,625--down from the 18,025 shoehorned into the place when I saw my first game there. 

Thank goodness for modern fire laws. 

I covered many basketball games, of course, at Williams Arena after leaving Albert Lea.  

There were lots of thrills and, yes, some frustrations, too, while watching Hawkeye teams coached by Ralph Miller, Dick Schultz, Lute Olson, George Raveling and Tom Davis take teams into an arena that has a strange raised floor.  

The players' benches and the tables where the official scorers sit are two feet below the playing court. 

Head coaches are permitted to stand on the court, above the benches, during games.

I certainly heard no complaints about the seating [or standing] arrangements from Iowa coach Fran McCaffery after this week's victory at Williams Arena.

Right now, he's got to be thinking The Barn isn't a bad place to stand [or play] at all.