RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Jim Leiser, His Cushman Motor Scooter, the Drive-In Theater

Jim Leiser of Iowa City, a friend from my high school days in Cedar Rapids, died recently in Las Vegas. Here's what I wrote to his widow, Janet, and her family in the memories section in connection with his obituary at an Iowa City funeral home:
 I  was very sorry to learn of Jim's death.  He and I were classmates many years ago at Wilson High School in Cedar Rapids.
 Both of us were in the 1953 graduating class.  If memory serves me correctly, I piloted Jim's Cushman motor scooter around the block a time or two without,incident during our years at Wilson.  Jim was among the fortunate few in our class who was able to afford a motor scooter, and it was nice of him to trust me as the occasional driver of the Cushman.  I'm dating myself with this comment, but I also think I was among the passengers in a car owned by Jim that attempted to sneak into the drive-in theater on the westside of Cedar Rapids back in the days when there were still drive-in movie theaters.  Unfortunately, our endeavor didn't work out the way we had it planned.  A security guy at the drive-in caught us before we got into the theater, and instructed us to go home--or at least go somewhere far away from the drive-in.  Those were the days!   I believe I also remember Jim's wife, the former Janet Dumond.  I think she and I were classmates at Lincoln Elementary School at 18th Avenue and 9th Street in Cedar Rapids.  Correct me if I'm wrong about that, Janet. Also, of course, Janet and I were classmates at Wilson.  My best to Janet and everyone else in Jim's family. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.   *  Jim's obituary, courtesy of the Gay & Ciha Funeral and Cremation Service in Iowa City:

James E. "Big Jim" Leiser, 79, of Iowa City, died unexpectedly, Tuesday, December 9, 2014, in Las Vegas, NV.
Jim Leiser

Jim was born July 25, 1935, in Sumner, Iowa, the son of Joseph and Beverly (House) Leiser. His family moved to Cedar Rapids where he graduated from Wilson High School.

On August 23, 1953, he was united in marriage to Janet M. Dumond.

The couple lived in Cedar Rapids until moving to Iowa City in 1966. For the past 15 years, Jim and Janet wintered in Arizona.

Jim enlisted in the United States Marine Corps where he proudly served his country during the Korean War.

He was the first of three generations serving in the Marine Corps. Himself in Korea; his son, James E. Leiser Jr. during the Vietnam War and his grandson, Wesley J. Leiser during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Jim was a proud member of the local 125 Plumbers Union as a Master Plumber, retiring in 1991. He was a member of the American Legion, VFW, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. As an avid swimmer, he competed in the Veterans Golden Age Games.

He was a proud Marine who had a wonderful sense of humor and a generous heart.

His family includes his wife of 61 ½ years, Janet; children, James Leiser Jr. (Sue) of Cedar Rapids; Lynn Martin (Mitch) and Lisa Leiser-Lovetinsky (Dale) all of Iowa City; five grandchildren, Wesley Leiser (Dawn) of Anamosa, Amy Leiser-Vega (Jay McCary) of Cedar Rapids, Chris Martin (Jenny), and Kelly Martin (Jon Flickinger), both of North Liberty and Joseph Rundlett (Anna Leavy) of West Branch; 9 great-grandchildren, 1 great-great grandson, a sister, Elaine Hayes (Larry) of Overland, Kansas; and longtime family friends Gizz Blakley and Jim and Karen Tucker all of Iowa City.