RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

'I Coach Such Amazing Young Ladies,' Tweets Valley's Joe Sigrist

By RON MALY

I didn't make it to Valley's boys'/girls' basketball doubleheader last night at Waukee. But my son and his family were on hand for the games, and I received texts throughout the night with scores of the games. I was particularly interested in the girls' game because it was a matchup of a Waukee team that was ranked No. 1 among the state's class 5-A squads, and a Valley team that was No. 2. Valley won, 72-66, which means the Tigers will be No. 1 in the next rankings. Coach Joe Sigrist's Tigers have a 9-0 record as they try to make a second consecutive trip to the state tournament. The 2013-2014 team lost to Southeast Polk in the opening round at Wells Fargo Arena in downtown Des Moines. Sigrist has done a wonderful job of pumping life into Valley's girls' program. After my son texted me with the final score last night at Waukee, I tweeted Sigrist with my congratulations, and he sent a return tweet a while later. It'll be fun seeing if the Tigers, who again don't have much size but make up for it with a lot of wire-to-wire scrappy play, can continue winning at their present pace. Waukee will certainly not go away anytime soon. The Warriors will  be factors the rest of the season, and so will Dowling. In other words, there's a long way to go until the state 5-A tournament in March.


Ronald Wesley Maly @WesleyVaclav
     
@JOhioSigrist Tremendous win tonight at Waukee, Joe! The Tigers are headed to the top of the state rankings. Keep up the great work. - 07 Jan
Josef Sigrist @JOhioSigrist
 
@WesleyVaclav It was an AWESOME environment! I coach such amazing young ladies... My job is so fun! Thank you for the kind words.