RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

A cold day like this meant it was a good time to have a cup of Italian Dark Roast with My Neighbor Al, The Health Nut. Al has been a longtime basketball fan of the team in Cedar Falls that used to be referred to as the Tutors by headline writers at the paper, and now he's happy that Northern Iowa is winning again. He's also wondering if the Bulldogs will ever get their bite back, and so am I



By RON MALY

As a few of you may know, My Neighbor Al, The Health Nut is a longtime fan of Northern Iowa athletics. 

I'd say the only person in our neighborhood who comes close to caring as much about UNI as Al does is Brenda, who lives in the corner house down the street.

I mean, Al has followed teams from the school in Cedar Falls even when it was called Iowa State Teachers College, and headline writers at the paper would use "Tutors" as the team's nickname.

Actually, Northern Iowa has had lots of names.

Like Iowa State Normal School from 1876-1909; Iowa State Teachers College [1909-1961]; State College of Iowa [1961-1967] and now the University of Northern Iowa.


My Neighbor Al will go to any length to find out how UNI is doing in basketball and football. 

By "any length," I mean 10 feet or less so he can turn on his TV or radio. 

Al got lucky last night. 

UNI's basketball game was televised by Fox Sports Midwest or something, so he was able to watch the Panthers drub Drake, 77-44. 

"My Panthers haven't been playing all that well since beating fifth-ranked Iowa State last month at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, but maybe they've got their act together now." Al said a few minutes ago over a cup of Italian Dark Roast. 

"But there's still work to do. UNI's record is only 10-7 for the season and 2-2 in the Missouri Valley Conference.

"A bigger question is Drake. What's wrong with the Bulldogs? They're 0-4 in the Valley and 5-11 for the season. Is there any hope over there?" 

I told Al I haven't been paying as much attention to the Bulldogs as I did 40 or 50 years ago, so I don't have the answer to Drake's problems. 

"I do know there are some really good people working in the administration at the school," I said. "At least they don't have Rudy Washington to kick around over there anymore.

"The present coach says his team 'is not beaten down,' but I guess Drake fans have to wonder what's going on. The Bulldogs don't seem to have much bite anymore.

"I thought Tom Davis and his son Keno coached up a storm and got the program back to where it's supposed to be, but things have been pretty lean ever since."

Al means well, and said he hopes things improve at Drake.

"The Bulldogs are my second-favorite collegiate team," he said. "I'd like to see 'em get off the floor and start beating some teams.

"In fact, I hope they win every one of their games the rest of the way other than the the one against UNI on Feb. 6 at the Knapp Center."

Al added that he's hoping to buy tickets to that Feb. 6 game for himself and his wife Diane.

"I'm planning to wear my new purple T-shirt that day," Al said. "Diane had it made special, and gave it to me for Christmas, wrapped in purple paper.

"It says TUTORS on the front. You don't see many of those anymore. I wore it last night while watching the game on TV."

"Have another cup, Al," I said.