RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Mark Robinson Checks In

It was good hearing today from Mark Robinson, a former Iowan who now lives in Arizona.

Mr. Wonderful

Here's his email: 

 "Hello, Ron, 

"It sure has been a while since my last note to you. 

 "We're still living in Tucson and so I get to read the latest about former Iowa basketball coach Lute Olson. 

"Greg Hansen is still writing for the Arizona Daily Star and he thinks it's time to erect a statue of Lute. 

"He notes that other institutions waited too long to do their statue-erecting and thus, the honorees weren't around to enjoy them.

"I've been reading your blog, Ron, and enjoy it as much as I ever did. 

"Hope you are well, and next time I won't wait years to write. 

"These sure are heady times for Hawkeye fans, don't you think? 

"All my best,"

Mark Robinson

Tucson, AZ

[RON MALY'S COMMENTS--I'm glad you wrote, Mark. Now that you're living in the shadows of the University of Arizona, where Lute Olson formerly plied his trade, I'll bet you're willing to pitch in a goodly sum to help pay for that statue of Olson everyone [well, one guy anyway] wants erected. I, of course, am Lute's favorite sportswriter. I covered a lot of his games when he coached at Iowa, and we always got along exceedingly well. I know he appreciated everything I wrote about him because he devoted one entire page to me in his autobiography. Say hello for me to Lute, aka Mr. Wonderful, the next time you see him in the grocery store. Tell him I told you there is no movement
Carver-Hawkeye Arena
whatever to have a statue of him built in the Carver-Hawkeye Arena area of Iowa City. I can't imagine why.  Anyway, I know Lute is anxious for me to come out and have coffee with him in Tucson. That time may be sooner rather than later. I understand lots of snow is predicted for the state of Iowa early next week. So I'm thinking
semi-seriously of taking the next flight out. The Hawkeyes and Cyclones are playing very well this season, Mark. The Panthers and Bulldogs not so well. My main basketball interest these days is Valley High School in West Des Moines, which takes a 14-0 record and the No. 1 ranking in class 4-A into tomorrow night's game against Dowling. Stay warm, Mark.]