RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Holy Water & Other Stuff




By RON MALY




As I was leaving Mount Olive Lutheran Church this evening, I shook hands with Pastor James Brammeier and thanked him for keeping the service short.
"Why do you say that?" the longtime man of the cloth asked.
"Because two Catholic universities are playing each other in the NCAA basketball tournament," I explained. "Now I know I'll be able to watch the last half on TV."
I didn't mention it to Pasror Brammeier, but I'll tell you that I had holy water sprinkled on me many years ago by a very nice Catholic priest at St. Theresa's Church in Des Moines after my niece was baptized.
I am the beautiful young lady's Godfather, and maybe the priest figured I needed over-the-top treatment at that stage in my life.
So I figured I'd better give special attention tonight ro an NCAA Elite Eight game between two well-known Catholic universities that would send the winning team to the Final Four.
When I finally was able to see some of the game, Gonzaga of Spokane, Wash., was 20 or so points ahead of Xavier of Cincinnati and went on to win big, 83-59.
The victory meant Gonzaga, a school with 7,421 students, qualified for its first Final Four in the NCAA's Big Dance.
As I watched Gonzaga's players celebrate on the court following the victory, I couldn't help but think about another private university that went to its first [and only] Final Four 48 seasons ago.
I'm referring, of course, to Drake, which took eventual national champion UCLA to the wire before losing, 85-82, in the 1969 tournament at Louisville In the semifinal round, then went on to absolutely manhandle Dean Smith's North Carolina team in the third-place game, 104-84.
Gonzaga's nickname is the Bulldogs, Drake is the Bulldogs. Spike the bulldog is Gonzana's mascot, Spike the bulldog is Drake's mascot.
Similarities, similarities.
As the years have flown by, it's easy to forget what a marvelous achievment it was for Maury John, then the Drake coach, to magically guide his ream to the Final Four.
I don't think we appreciate enough what that man did.