RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

By RON MALY

If you didn't have fun during that one, you've forgotten how to have fun.
All basketball games are fun to watch when there's a lot racehorse offe
nse, dunk shots and 3-pointers, plus sometimes very little defense.
I know I had fun watching Iowa State exhibit all kinds of athletic skills while defeating Nevada, 84-73, in front of a massive Cyclone crowd tonight at the NCAA tournament in Milwaukee.

This was the first day and night of the tournament, and I'll tell you this: I watched some of most of today's and tonight's games, and I didn't see a team that was any better than Iowa State.

The Cyclones are playing at an absolutely outstanding level.
Certainly not all of the time in every game. But most of the time.
I wrote earlier this week that I think they can go deep in the tournament, and I feel that way even more now.
Iowa State built a 40-27 halftime lead and virtually shot at will against a phantom Nevada defense. The TV announcers kept saying there were Nevada defenders on the court, but I never saw 'em.
Nevada did play better in the last half. Iowa State's lead slipped to 4 points for a short time, but the Cyclones had enough to finish the job and earn a game Saturday against Purdue in the next round.
I mentioned how much fun it was to watching tonight's game.
Certainly for me.
Another person who sounded like she was having fun was Debbie Antonelli, one of three TV announcers to broadcast the game on something called the Tru TV network.
Antonelli, who is from Charleston, S.C., has been a sportscaster on the national scene for 20 years. Today she became the first woman to serve as an analyst [not do sideline work] during a men's NCAA tournament since Ann Meyers in 1995.
She did other games prior to the Iowa State-Nevada game in Milwaukee today, and I thought she did an excellent job.
So did the Cyclones.