RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Dumb Idea

By RON MALY

I'm what I guess you'd call a Big Ten guy.
I own a degree from the University of Iowa, a longtime member of the Big Ten Conference.
As a kid growing up in Cedar Rapids, I followed Hawkeye athletics closely.
As a professional writer, I've covered Iowa football and basketball extensively for more than a half-century.
Heck, I even wrote a few things about Hawkeye baseball, wrestling, gymnastics and swimming.
I wrote a book about Hawkeye football and two updated versions of that book.
I participated in a number of the old Big Ten football Skywriters tours.
That said, I see no sense to the Big Ten holding a postseason basketball tournament in Washington, D.C. now and New York City in the future.
I'm writing this as I watch the Iowa-Indiana game on TV in the Big Ten tournament in D.C.
Strange, that's what I call it.
In my opinion, the Big Ten tournament should be held in a centrial location.
That means either Chicago or Indianapolis.
Alternate the tournament between those cities, and keep it out of Washington and New York City.