RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Here's What I"m Hoping for Tonight

By RON MALY

Here's the schedule for tonight's NCAA men's basketball tournament and how I hope the games turn out:

6:09--Butler vs. North Carolina. I like any team called the Bulldogs and I don't have much time for an outfit whose nickname is the Tar Heels and is coached by Roy Williams. North Carolina has already won 5 national championships, and that's enough. Consequently, I'm on Butler's bandwagon, at least when it comes to this game.

6:29--South Carolina vs. Baylor. Just to prove I have nothing against a basketball team with Caroliha in its name, I hope South Carolina wins. I know I'm disappointing my friend, Baylor and coach Scott Drew fan Paul Delger. But Paul and I have known each other long enough that he is aware it's nothing personal and it's all in fun. I'm going with Frank Martin, the South Carolina coach who is the son of Cuban political exiles. Besides, ol' Frank is just a little bit goofy in my estimation.


8:39--UCLA vs Kentucky. Both schools have had more than enough NCAA basketball success. UCLA has won 11 national championships and Kentucky has won 8. The fact that I'm not particularly fond of either coach [Kentucky's John Calipari and UCLA's Steve Alford] also influences me. I hope both teams lose, and I've got a call into NCAA headquarters to see if such a bizarre thing can happen.

8:59--Wisconsin vs. Florida. I hope the Badgers win the national championship. To accomplish that, they can't lose to Florida or any other opponent that confronts them in this tournament. So don't
screw it up now, Wisconsin. I'm a Greg Gard fan. He's the Badgers' coach who waited a long, long time to finally get a head coaching job, and now is making the most of it.