RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, April 24, 2017

By RON MALY

After going through most of my life without having to do much grocery shopping, l've been spending considerable time lately doing just that.
It seems like I'm going to either Fareway or HyVee [or both] every other day.
Indeed, I visited Fareway this morning, and managed to spend $37.01 in virtually no time.
I prefer Fareway over HyVee for several reasons.
One is that I don't have to take the groceries out of the cart at the checkout area. The checkout person does it.
Another reason is that someone--usually a kid aged 16 or 17--wheels the cart to my car and unloads the groceries into the trunk.
Yet another reason is the conversations I get into with whatever kid is wheeling the grocery cart to my car.
I'm sure you get into the same type of conversations when you do your grocery shopping at Fareway.
All of the carryout kids are polite. They always ask if I have any plans for the rest of the day.
I'm fairly certain Fareway's management instructs them to do that.
The checkout lady asked me the same thing today.
After joking today to the kid unloading my groceries that my only plan for the day was to try to stay out of trouble, he said he had a specific plan in mind for a later time.
"I'm going mushroom hunting," he said.
"Morel mushrooms?" I asked, trying to indicate to the kid that I know something about mushrooms.
Actually, the only thing I know about mushrooms is that I've never met one I didn't like.
I have a friend who wants to stay as far away from mushrooms as she can.
She has no interest in hunting them or eating them.
I'm different. I have no interest in hunting them. All I want to do is eat them.
Getting back to the Fareway carryout kid, I asked what he does with the morels after he finds them.
" I could sell them at a good price or take 'em home," he said.
"How does your family prepare them to be part of a meal," I asked.
"Just fry 'em up," he answered. "They taste great."
[A morel mushroom is pictured.]
Conversations on other days with other checkout kids have also been interesting.
A couple of years ago, a kid informed me that he was the Valley High School football player who kicked a long field goal that beat Johnston in a playoff game.
Another kid told me that he attends Roosevelt High School in Des Moines and is 6 feet 4 inches tall.
"I have a twin brother who also is 6-4," he added.
A while back when I was at Fareway on a Saturday, the girl wheeling the cart to my car asked, as instructed, if I had any plans for the rest of the day and night.
"I'm hoping to go to church at 5 o'clock," I said. "How about you?"
"We're having a party at our house," she said. "I know my sister will get drunk."
That's probably more information than I needed to get in a parking lot.