RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

I Want One Of Those 108-Diamond Rings



By RON MALY




My clock said 12:41 a.m .today when the defending world champion Chicago Cubs celebrated at Wrigley Field following a 3-2 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

No Cub fan considered it a problem that the team they root for started their 2017 home opener Monday night and finished it Tuesday morning.
It was the night the Cubs raised the banner signifying that the 2016 team won the franchise's first World Series in 108 years.
The banner ceremony and the start of the game were delayed nearly 2 hours by rain.
Then the game took forever to play.
Hard telling what might develop Wednesday night when the players are awarded their championship rings.
Maybe you haven't heard about those rings.
Each one has 108 diamonds in it.
One diamond for every year between world championships.
I'm starting to think the rings are the largest ever manufactured.
I also think it would be fitting if Theo Epstein, the brains behind the Cub operation, awarded me one of those rings because I waited a hellacious amount of time to finally see the Cubs win a World Series.
I'll check my mailbox later today to see if Theo sent me my ring or if I'm supposed to go to Chicago to get it.