RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

My iPhone Thinks It Knows What I'm Doing


By RON MALY


I'm wondering if something like this has ever happened to you.
I was scanning several web pages on my iPhone a few minutes ago when the following message suddenly appeared on the phone's screen:
"Ronald Wesley Maly is drinking Coors Light with Craig York at Starbucks located at 2800 University Avenue in West Des Moines."
I didn't know my iPhone or Apple, the company that manufactured it, cared so much about what I was doing on a Thursday afternoon.
I'd be tempted to call it an invasion of my privacy, but actually the message is so full of errors that it's hilarious.
When the message popped onto my phone, I was not at a Starbucks coffeehouse nor was I drinking Coors Light nor was I anywhere with Craig York.
I was [and still am] sitting on my Lazy Boy in the living room of my home.
I then was drinking coffee I brewed in my own coffeemaker, and I'm drinking coffee out of the same pot now.
Also, I am assuming Craig York, a relative of mine from Ladora, IA, was [and still is] working at his job in the eastern half of the state.
So the rumors of Craig and I enjoying Coors Light together this afternoon [as enjoyable as that sounds] are greatly exaggerated.
Another thing. As far as I know, Starbucks does not serve or sell Coors Light.
As I wrote earlier, do any of you get messages like that on your iPhone or any other phone? Let me know.