RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Ecumenical



By RON MALY

"I'"I'm for Gonzaga!" was the comment Pastor James Brammeier used when he began his 5 p.m. service today at Mount Olive Lutheran Church.
That's about as ecumenical a Lutheran man of the cloth could get before the opening game of the NCAA Final Four classic in front of a whopping 77,612 fans at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ.
Gonzaga, after all, is a Catholic university in Spokane, Wash., that was founded in 1887 by the Society of Jesus.

Pastor Brammeier didn't exactly say he was praying that Gonzaga would win. So it would incorrect for me to say his prayers were answered.
But at least I can write that the pastor's wish was granted when
Gonzaga managed to defeat South Carolina, 77-73, to advance to Monday night's championship game agaist North Carolina, which got past Oregon, 77-76, in tonight's second game.
Its too bad the North Carolina victory isn't an April Fool's Day joke.
By the way, I told Pastor Brammeier [who is pictured] on the the way out of church that I, too, was hoping Gonzaga would win.
So the Zags made at least one Lutheran minister, me and the thousands [millions maybe?] of their fans by improving their record to a fantastic 37-1.
Not at all bad for a university with 7,421 students and a "mid-major" label hanging onto its logo.
But hey, listen, there was nothing mid-major about the way Gonzaga performed on the big stage today.
That was a class act all the way by coach Mark Few and his players.
Sad to say, North Carolina will be Gonzaga's opponent Monday night in the national championship game.
I'm fairly certain you know my feelings about the Tar Hels.
They've already won far too many games to suit me.
I was hoping Oregon would win, and it's too bad it didn't happen.