RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Good Day and a Good Night


By RON MALY

It's been a good day and a good night.
One of the reasons was, even though these are troubled times worldwide, I didn't have to write anything today about people dying.
A factor in why it was a good night was that the Cubs won and the Brewers lost.

Consequently, the defending world champion Cubs are only a half-game behind first-place Milwaukee in the National League Central standings.
That's saying something because that Chicago ballclub with far too many millionaire players has been scuffling throughout the first 2 1/2 months of the 2017 season.
I was about ready to send manager Joe Maddon back to Tampa Bay for a batboy to be named later.
Another reason I'm in a pretty good mood is because I'm finally getting a chance to write about two of my favorite movie actresses--Lauren Bacall and Audrey Hepburn.
The Turner Clvassic Movie channel is on a lot in my home, and wouldn't you know it, I saw Bacall in "The Big Sleep" and Hepburn in "Breakfast At Tiffany's" and "My Fair Lady" on TCM in the past week..
That's what I'd call perfect timing and beauty at its best.
For a second or two, I was even thinking about labeling Bacall and Hepburn my two TCM girlfriends [imaginary, of course], but I abandoned that idea very quickly.
A lot of church people--even a couple of pastors, maybe a priest or two, and three or four altar boys--read these essays, so you won't ever catch me using the word girlfriend in anything I write.
Besides, both Bacall [pictured] and Hepburn are now acting on the big screen and stage in the sky.
People tell me that dead women don't make ideal girlfriends.