RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Smoking In the Newsroom



By RON MALY

Buck Turnbull
Bob Modersohn, one of the best photographers the paper here has ever had, responded this way to my recent essay about the late Buck Turnbull:
"Ron, I'm looking for the cigar up there in the drawing "
Some background information on that comment:
Like in so many other businesses in most of the 20th century, smoking was permitted in newspaper offices.
Heck, it wasn't an official newspaper unless people [both men and women] smoked cigarettes, cigars, pipes, whatever, while writing and editing stories.
Not everyone smoked. Just some. More didn't than did.
Leighton Housh, our longtime sports editor, smoked a pipe every day.
For a long time, my friend Buck Turnbull smoked cigarettes both inside and outside of the office.
Late in his career, he decided to quit cigarettes, and used cigars [unlit cigars] as a way to stop.
Here's how I answered Modersohn:
"You know what, Bob. I'm pretty sure Buck stuck those cigars in his mouth so it would help him quit smoking cigarettes.
"My desk was right next to Buck's, and I don't recall him ever lighting up the cigar.
"I was never a cigarette smoker, but I guess Buck thought having the unlit stogie in his mouth was one step in the right direction.
"He did manage to quit smoking.
"Right now, a good cigar, or even a bad cigar, and a shot or two of cognac sounds pretty damn good.to me."
* * *
[A few other things. I probably smoked no more than 4 or 5 cigarettes in my high school years. I didn't inhale the smoke from any of them. I tried to inhale the smoke from a cigarette one afternoon at the Iowa Memorial Union when I was a freshman at the University of Iowa. I thought I was going to die. I have never smoked a cigarette since. I do, however, like the smell of cigar smoke, and for a number of years I enjoyed smoking an occasional cigar. I never inhaled a cigar. Never. It didn't have to be a good cigar. One from Walgreen's [when Walgreen's still sold cigars] was good enough. It's been a long time since I smoked a cigar, either a good cigar or a bad cigar].