RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Paul and I Remember Nickel Coffee


I was chatting an hour ago with Paul Morrison, the marvelous man who will celebrate his 100th birthday July 25.
Paul maybe didn't draw plans for the contruction of Old Main on the Drake campus, but he came close.
Paul and I were among the usual group of writers, broadcasters, sports fans. hangers-on and one lawyer [hey, our group sometimes needs legal protection] who showed up for coffee-and-free-pie-day at Village Inn in West Des Moines.
Paul and I remember when we could each get a cup of coffee and free refills for a nickel.
Now I don't even know if they still make nickels.
"Boy, $2.49 for a cup of coffee," Paul said as he glanced at his bill.
"Yes, but we didn't get free pie when the coffee was 5 cents," I pointed out. "And the refills on the $2.49 coffee are free."
"Always thinking positively, right, Ron?" Paul said,
I try to do my best, Paul.
Paul [pictured] had apple pie to go, I had key lime and polished it all off in the building.