RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Freshman Joey King Leaves Bulldogs

I had the Associated Press story about first-year basketball coach Ray Giacoletti's rebulding plan at Drake [below] in type one minute, then came something from Ty Patton, Drake's publicity guy, to throw cold water on it.  Joey King, a freshman forward for the Bulldogs, will not return to Drake for his sophomore season.. “I want to thank the men’s basketball program and Drake University
Joey King
for giving me the tremendous opportunity to pursue my education and basketball career at Drake,” King said. “I’ve enjoyed the chance to work with the new coaching staff and know that they will do great things with this program. However, after months of careful thought and deliberation, I have made the very difficult personal decision to explore other opportunities to pursue my academic and athletic goals.” King, a native of Eagan, Minn., played in all 32 games as a freshman during the 2012-13 season and averaged 6.9 points and 2.9 rebounds per game while shooting 42.8 percent from the floor. He was named to the Valley's all-Freshman team for his efforts. “We respect Joey’s decision and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors,” first-year Drake head coach Ray Giacoletti added.