RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, May 3, 2013

The Hawkeyes' Rich Football Tradition, Revisited


By RON MALY

I mentioned a while back that I was in the process of updating my Tales from the Iowa Sidelines book.

Updating it for the second time. 

The original hardback edition of Tales from the Iowa Sidelines [pictured at the right] was
published in 2003, during the 10-3 season, when coach Kirk Ferentz and his Iowa football team had a 10-3 record that included a 37-17 victory over 15th-ranked Florida in the Outback Bowl and after the Hawkeyes went 11-2 in 2002.

That book was a best-seller, so the publishers came to me again in 2005, a season that finished with a breathtaking 30-25 victory over No. 11 Louisiana State in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day, 2005.

Because buyers had cleaned out the the shelves in the bookstores, the publishers wanted to know if I'd do an updated version of the book.

I agreed,

The revised, soft-cover edition [pictured at the left] was published in 2005. Warren Holloway, who teamed with quarterback Drew Tate on a
miraculous 56-yard touchdown pass to win the Capital One Bowl, was featured on the cover.

That book, too, turned into a best-seller,

So I had reason to feel very good about my years as a published author. It's not every day that a the original version is a best-seller, and so is the updated version.

Then, imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail from a senior editor at the publishing company last fall, wanting wanted to know if I was interested in doing a second updated version of the book.

It came at a time when things weren't going well for the Hawkeyes in the 2012 season. They lost their last six games and finished with a 4-8 record.

Frankly, the thought of doing a revised edition of the book during a 4-8 season seemed to be a stretch.

"Maybe producing a revised edition in a year or two would be a better idea," I told the publishers.

"We'd like to do it now," I was told.

"Let me think about it," I said.

After a few days of thought, I accepted the idea.

I talked myself into the idea that this was the supreme compliment--being asked to do a second book update during a 4-8 season showed strong confidence by the publishers in me and in the Hawkeyes' football program.

So I got back into the business of interviewing players and coaches again, going to postgame press conferences, weekly press conferences and a scrimmage in West Des Moines.

After a press conference in Iowa City, I did a one-on-one interview with coach Kirk Ferentz, and mentioned to him that I was in the process of doing a revised edition of my two best-selling books.

I congratulated him on the excellent things he had done for Iowa's football program--all of which contributed to the success of my books.

"I think Coach Fry had more to do with it," he told me, bringing up the name of Hayden Fry, his one-time boss at Iowa and a man who brought Iowa's football program back from the dead in the 20th century.

That's modest Kirk Ferentz for you.

Even though the 2012 season wasn't something Hawkeye coaches, players and fans will recall with any special feeling, Ferentz has a 14-year record of 100-74 at Iowa that includes two 11-victory seasons [2002 smd 2009], two 10-victory seasons [2003 and 2004], plus he's been the Big Ten coach of year in 2002, 2004 and 2009, and national coach of the year in 2002.

Indeed, Ferentz has done some wonderful things at Iowa City, and I fully expect his success to continue.

I've concluded my writing for the second update of Tales from the Iowa Sidelines, and the senior editor has furnished me with an early look at the book.

Not only are the Kirk Ferentz years included in the updated version, but so is the stuff I previously wrote about Howard Jones, Dr. Eddie Anderson, Heisman Trophy winner Nile Kinnick and the 1939 Hawkeye Ironmen, Ronald Reagan, Ozzie Simmons, Ossie Solem, Randy Duncan, Alex Karras and lots of other legends from Iowa's rich football history.

I expect the book to be in stores soon. I hope you like it.