RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, May 24, 2013

I was very sorry to learn of the death, at 91, of legendary sports broadcaster Jim Zabel. I worked in press boxes in Iowa City and other places around the nation with Zabel for 40 years or so, and got to know the man very well. Although "Z" and I were in a professional competition--he in the radio and TV business, me in the newspaper business--we had a strong mutual respect for one another. We witnessed countless collegiate football and basketball games together, and it was good to know that he was still doing the thing he did best--talking on the radio--right up to the end. He was still doing a weekly show for Des Moines station WHO. .Zabel and I were among the 20 charter members of the media Wall of Fame in the Kinnick Stadium press box at the University of Iowa, and it was good to see him when we were honored that day in 2006. "Z" had been spending most of his time in Arizona, and I guess that was the last time I saw him in person. However, I was able to talk with him a number of times on the phone since. I'm miss seeing "Z" in the press box. and I'll miss talking with him about the good old days. Rest in peace, Jim.

Jim Zabel. Photo courtesy of Google.