RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for this get-together. I had coffee a couple of days ago with Mike Mahon, Drake's former sports information director, and one of the folks we talked about was Dick Dietl. Dietl also is a former Drake sports information director, and also had the same sort of job at Northern Iowa before that. Dietl went on to later became the athletic director at West Texas State. Mahon told me he'd like to meet with Dietl when he [Mahon] goes on an upcoming track trip to Oregon, where Dietl now lives.Like I wrote earlier, I'd like to be a fly on the way during that meeting. Here's Dietl's e-mail to me: . "Ron: I would love to meet with Mike. I suggest that he call me in advance and would love to have lunch with him. My current plan is to move to Cedar Falls in late August if I have the money saved up. But that could move to 2014. I now live in an assisted living facility and use an electric wheelchair or a walker. The 2006 stroke took a lot out me. I did finish my second book about eight fathers who built a baseball stadium without any money and it is now worth two million. They built everything themselves with no labor costs. The eight dads, their kids and the people of Eugene, Ore., bought into the thing. The school provided the land. One guy gave them $400,000 as a gift. When they need lights the money it there but they must put the money back in fund. It had pictures of the entire building process. I cannot type anymore, so I bought a Dragon, which enables me to talk the story into a computer. I spent $500 on it and had no money to promote it. The Legion team gets all of profit. I was the general managers of the team for four years. It was my gift to them." Dick.

Mike Mahon