RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, January 6, 2014

A Half-Dozen Of Us Warm Up a Cold Day


By RON MALY

Forget about the sub-zero temperatures.

Forget about the miserable wind-chill numbers.

Forget about all of today's school cancellations.
Lee Friell


A bunch of us warmed it up bigtime with some lively conversation during a 2-hour lunch at the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery in West Des Moines

 It was Mike Mahon's idea, and he emailed me with it late last night while I was watching the final minutes of Iowa's basketball loss on the tube.

Maxine and I had just gotten home from dining on chicken wings and salad with some of our kids at the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant, and I had already missed the ejection of Hawkeye coach Fran McCaffery.

Mahon said  Chuck Schoffner would be at today's lunch and so would a man who wanted to know if I'd sign a copy of my most recent Tales from the Iowa Sidelines  book for him.

 I certainly couldn't turn down that opportunity, whatever the temperature and wind-chill were.

It turned out there were a half-dozen guys present for the session--Mahon, the retired Drake sports information director;
Jason Eslinger, the assistant executive director and information director  of the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union;
Schoffner, the retired Associated Press sportswriter from the Des Moines bureau; Lee Friell, who did award-winning work for many years at the State Hygenic Laboratory; retired Register sportswriter Dave Stockdale and me.

It was Friell who wanted the book signed, and it was a pleasure for me to oblige.

We covered the waterfront in our conversations. Basketball at all levels, Johnny Orr, McCaffery, football at all levels, bowl games, good times, bad times, controversy, who's doing the job right, who isn't doing the job right, sportswriting, broadcasting...you name it, we talked about it.

Halfway through the lunch, Eslinger mentioned to me that he'd noticed I covered the famous Everly-Union-Whitten girls' basketball game at Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines many years ago.

The man had done his homework.  

Indeed, I did handle the writing job of that classic six-girl game in which Jeanette Olson of Everly scored 76 points and Denise Long of Union-Whitten collected 64 in her team's 113-107 victory in overtime.

I'd forgotten what season that game was played.

 "It was 1968," Eslinger told me.

 "Hmmm, that's 45 years ago," I said.

How time flew when I was having all that fun.