RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, January 20, 2014

I See That Wichita State Of the Missouri Valley Conference has a 19-0 Record And Is Ranked Either 4th Or 5th In the Latest Collegiate Basketball Rankings, Depending On Whose Polls You Believe. I've Been Checking the Schedules, And I Noticed that Wichita State Plays Drake At 7:05 p.m. Saturday At the Knapp Center In Des Moines. As Far As I'm Concerned, That Would Be a Great Time for the Bulldogs, Who Have Been Slumping, To Shock the Shockers And Make National News. I Mean, Coach Gregg Marshall And His Wichita State Players Shouldn't Win All Of Their Games, Should They? Speaking Of Upsets, Consider What Creighton Did. The Bluejays' Ethan Wragge Scored 9 3-Point Field Goals and His Team Set School and Big East Records With 21 Of the Long-Range Baskets En Route To a 96-68 Victory Over No. 4 Villanova


In other developments, My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut, was in my kitchen for a cup of Italian Dark Roast this afternoon. Al said he was in my kitchen a lot longer than he was at Hy-Vee this morning. "I went to Hy-Vee to read the paper, like I do on most mornings," Al explained. "It was a quick trip because the Monday paper is so skinny. Then I noticed that the phony Daniel P. Finney had a story on the front page, and that made it an even shorter trip. I've learned from you that nobody can believe what the guy writes, so I don't read any of his stuff. Or any of Roland H. Thompson's stories either." For those who haven't been keeping score, at home or on the road, Daniel P. Finney and Roland H. Thompson are very close longtime friends, possibly connected at the hip. Sometimes Daniel P. Finney even writes under Roland H. Thompson's byline, and that's why he was canned from at least one newspaper job and because his journalistic background is...well, checkered at best. For all I know, it could be that Daniel P. Finney writes under other aliases, too. He could be one of the reasons the paper's circulation is in a continual freefall. "Don't be too harsh on Roland H. Thompson," I told Al. "I think he writes a little better than Daniel P. Finney." "Yeah, but can you believe any of it?" Al asked. "I'm not sure," I said. "We'll talk about that some other time. Have another cup of Italian Dark Roast." "Sounds great," Al said. "And, oh, by the way, if you write about me in your column, make it in small print, will you?  I see you talked to Diane, my wife,  the other day, and put her in your column. I don't want her to think I'm trying to hog column space from her."  'Wish granted, Al," I said. "You're in the smallest typet I'm aware of," I said.

Cup of coffee courtesy of Google

*

Now back to the big type again. Creighton's basketball team deserves all the big type a computer can generate after sinking a university and Big East Conference-record 21 three-point field goals in an astounding 96-68 drubbing of a Villanova team that's ranked No. 4 nationally and had been previously-unbeaten in the conference.  I watched the game on TV, and Ethan Wragge was unstoppable for Creighton. He dumped in nine three-pointers for his team-leading 27 points as the Bluejays jumped atop the Big East standings with a 6-1 record. Doug McDermott, who played his high school basketball in Ames and is the son of Creighton coach Greg McDermott, drilled five 3's en route to 23 points.