RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Stunned


By RON MALY

I was stunned when I read in the paper that John Carlson has retired as a columnist for the opinion pages.  

It's Carlson's second retirement from the
John Carlson, courtesy of Google
paper, and the timing of it seems a bit strange to me.


Indeed, I hope Carlson's decision to quit writing for the paper didn't have anything to do with the announcement the other day that Amalie Nash is being brought in from Detroit to be the next editor at the place. 

I mean, Carlson didn't give any hint in his most recent column that he was retiring. 

The way the decision was disclosed by the paper was also weird--merely a little three-paragraph story with a mug shot of Carlson at the bottom of page 3 of the Sunday opinion pages. 

As far as I'm concerned, it's a huge loss for the paper and its constantly-decreasing number of readers. 

Carlson's retirement is another reason for people not to read the paper at all.

Notice, I said read, not subscribe

These days, the only time some people who are accustomed to getting their news on TV even know there's a paper in this meto area is if it's sitting in a dentist's office or on a table in the deli department at Hy-Vee or Dahls.

Hardly anyone pays for the thing anymore.

If they do, they're wasting money.

They can say all they want about people reading the paper on their tablets or laptops.

Ain't gonna happen.

Carlson's columns have been appearing twice a month on a freelance basis, and I've had just one problem with that. 

I wish he had been writing four times a month. 

He was the best thing the opinion pages had going, and he was the best writer in the whole damn paper. 

I just  hope it wasn't a messy breakup. 

The only reason I say that is because there have been so many messy breakups at the paper in recent years. 

I still can't forget the scene that was related to me concerning Brian Duffy, the paper's former cartoonist. 

I heard that when the paper's bosses told Duffy he was being fired, a security guard led him to a back exit in the newsroom and took him out of the building.

I hope nothing like that happened to my friend John Carlson. 

I hope he just told 'em to shove it up their asses, and left the building for the last time.

I also hope Carlson's health is all right. 

Whenever someone who has been around as long as Carlson has been on the scene, I hope the person  is feeling all right. 

Whatever, enjoy yourself in retirement [again], John. 

I'll miss seeing you in the paper.

And anytime you want to write something, I've got a spot for you on this site.