RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Iowa High School Athletic Association Should Be Ashamed Of Itself


By RON MALY 

I've been watching high school football games in this state since 1946. Over the years, I've never had an issue with the Iowa High School Athletic Association.  People who work
there have treated me well, and I've tried to treat them well. Now, though, I'm having a problem with a situation that caused East High School of Des Moines to forfeit last night's scheduled football game to Ames High School.  I think the high school association should be ashamed of itself for siding with Ames officials and making this happen. Ames people and the high school association decided it would be too dangerous to play a game at East. How they came to that decision is beyond me.  Rumors? Threats? Garbage on Facebook about people having guns at the game? Give me a break. If there was that much concern, the game should have been suspended, and played at a later date when emotions wouldn't be running so high.  By the way, I also think the people who have decision-making powers at the high school association should also be suspended until all of us are aware of more facts in this mess. East did not deserve to have the game turned into a forfeit. If Ames didn't want to make the trip to East, Ames should have been the school forced to forfeit. I think the Iowa High School Athletic Association should revisit this entire situation. I think the forfeit should be deleted, and the game should be played at East at a later time. This is rotten treatment for the proud people associated with East High School.


MORE SHAMEFUL WORK

Another outfit that should be ashamed of itself [again] is the Des Moines Register.  I searched the sports section  for quite a while this morning, looking for the Central Iowa Metro League football results.  I couldn't find a word on Ankeny's victory over Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson or Lewis Central's victory over Johnston. For all I know, maybe another couple of games were missing, too. Ankeny and Johnston are very large suburbs of Des Moines. Can you imagine  newspaper readers in those two cities looking for results of the games played by high school teams for which they have sons playing?  Subscriptions have no doubt been canceled all weekend.  I think Randy Evans, editor of the paper's Opinion section and a man who already has a thistle up his ass because of past foolishness, should slice off part of that thistle and deliver it to the sports department because of this latest embarrassing work.