RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Valley's Excellent Tribute To Academics


By RON MALY

Valley High School knows how to do things right. In another spectacular performance last

night, a ton of senior, junior and sophomore students were honored at the 2014-2015 Academic Recognition Ceremony in the Bill Coldiron Fieldhouse. Over the years, I've attended plenty of basketball games in the Coldiron arena, and I was there for the graduation of my three sons before the commencement ceremony was moved to the Knapp Center on Drake's campus.  Last night was my first opportunity to attend the Academic Recognition Ceremony, and I thought it was a blast. All Valley students who earned 3.4 grade-point averages or higher on a 4.0 scale for two consecutive semesters or more  were honored and handed awards by school officials. Math wasn't my specialty in school, but I counted 219 students in the senior class alone who were honored.   I felt particularly proud because among the students presented awards were my three grandchildren who still attend Valley--seniors Nate and Claire and sophomore Megan.  Cole, anther of my six grandkids,  is an earlier Valley graduate and is already a junior at the University of Nebraska.  A huge crowd was in

the Coldiron building to see the students receive their awards and to hear comments from guest speaker Matt Schultz, a Valley graduate and former Tiger athlete who now is Iowa's Secretary of State; Valley principal Tim Miller; associate principal David Maxwell, and Valley Southwoods Freshman High School  principal Mitch Kuhnert, Valley students Megan Smith,  Bridget Shoemaker, Keaton Denker and Jake Grittman sang the National Anthem. All in all, it was a wonderful way for Valley to honor excellence in the classroom.