RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, October 13, 2014

The next time you're saying prayers, take some time to say one for Bill Coldiron. Bill is the longtime educator and coach from West Des Moines who is fighting some major health problems these days. I first knew Bill many years ago when one of my sons took golf instructions from him. He coached golf at Valley High School for a long time, and he was so highly thought of that officials named Valley's basketball arena the Bill Coldiron Fieldhouse. That's quite a tribute--naming a basketball arena in honor of a golf coach. When Valley's girls' basketball team was winning game after game last season en route to a spot in the class 5-A state tournament at Wells Fargo Arena, Tiger fans began wearing T-shirts to the games that said they were "Coldiron Crazies." My son bought me one of the shirts, and I wear it proudly. The team's captains presented some of the shirts [pictured] to Bill and his family, and he was very appreciative of it. That was then, this is now. Like I said, say a prayer for Bill.