RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Let's Keep This Short


By RON MALY

I was intending to write another lengthy column about what was supposed to be in today's paper, but wasn't.


The more I thought about it, though, the less I wanted to do the writing.

It's a beautiful Saturday. I was outdoors to enjoy the weather for quite a while earlier this afternoon, and I plan to go out there again very soon.

So I'm going to keep this as short as possible, even though that may not be an option after seeing what wasn't in the paper.

The first thing I noticed was that the schedule of Wednesday night's first-round games in the state high school football playoffs was nowhere to be found.

Nor was there a story--not one word--on Dowling's 77-7 victory over North in a regular-season finale.

The fact that Dowling is the second-best team in the state [behind Valley, which clobbered Lincoln, 62-0, last night and got a one-paragraph story in the paper for doing it] was significant.

But so was the fact that there was no roundup story on the upcoming playoff matchups.

I checked the Iowa High School Athletic Association website and saw the playoff information I was looking for.  Here are Wednesday night's class 4-A games that are of interest to me:

East at Valley

Dowling vs. Indianola at East's Williams Stadium

Johnston at Ankeny Centennial

 Lincoln at Ankeny

Ames at Urbandale

Fort Dodge at Southeast Polk

The interesting thing about the Dowling-Indianola game is that it's at Williams Stadium,
which is where Ames refused to play East last week because of Facebook threats on the Internet. 

That resulted in a forfeit victory by Ames being declared by the shoot-from-the-hip high school association, which later wiped out the forfeit after enormous protests from people at East and elsewhere.

We'll see what's on Facebook in the upcoming week regarding the Dowling-Indianola game.

*

After Dowling's 77-7 shellacking of North and
Valley's 62-0 thumping of Lincoln, the dismissal of high schools in Des Moines from the Central Iowa Metro League can't come too soon.  Like I've been saying, those teams should be playing in a Saturday morning flag football league at Tower Park. Let the big boys from the suburban schools fight it out in the CIML.

*

The paper acts hurt that Republican Senate nominee Joni Ernst refused to meet with its 
Joni Ernst. Photo courtesy of Getty Images.
editorial writers and political reporters. I don't blame Ernst. I wouldn't waste my time visiting with those people either. I certainly can't imagine anyone wanting to spend an hour or two talking to Rekha Basu about anything.


*

The paper plans to tell its readers tomorrow what candidates it is endorsing. Good. It won't mean a thing. When the paper endorses a candidate, I usually vote for the woman or guy it didn't endorse. Or else I enter a write-in
candidate, like My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut.  Al got my vote in the last presidential election. Newspaper endorsements mean nothing these days. Newspapers have no influence on how people vote.


*

I noticed a headline on the paper's website last night that asked the question: What will Iowa State's football players do on their day off Saturday? Well, I can tell you this: On a
beautiful Saturday, there are a couple of things they're doing now, or will be doing later--neither of which involves watching a football game or thinking about a football game. 

*

That's enough for now. I've already written too much.  Hopefully, I'll see you outdoors.